Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My RMK 600 1998 chain has 8 broken links in various locations around the chain. They all are the second row in from the engine side. Any ideas what would cause this?
The other problem is the new gears and chain when I tighten as requred by the manual, Whines loudly. Now this sled only has 700 miles on it and yes, the tension roller was fine. I have to back the adjuster bolt off 1/2 turn to get rid of the whine. Everyone says this will be too loose. Comments?

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
when u changed gears, did the chain case go back together properly? it doesnt take much for the gears to be a lil bit misaligned to cause serious damage

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes we alined the gears also as the old gears were different width.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
did u get a different chain with the gears? if the gears are different widths, that could pose a problem with the chain if its not the right one for the size of gears

·
Registered
749 Posts
thats weird. i've seen about a million of them apart and together and never heard of that happening. did you put the right gears/sprocket together. could there be a defect in the gear. I have seen this happen. Just a sugestion. Roll the sprocket up the chain. Might sound dumb but i've seen this happen.

·
Registered
749 Posts
thats weird. i've seen about a million of them apart and together and never heard of that happening. did you put the right gears/sprocket together. could there be a defect in the gear. I have seen this happen. Just a sugestion. Roll the sprocket up the chain. Might sound dumb but i've seen this happen.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Gears chain all match, the sound is not clatter/chatter or grinding at all. To me it sounds like a super charger whine or the whine like a hydrostatic transmission. I think its gotta be the tension wheel as it is the only thing really turning some RPMS and under load. Its a high speed sound. But as I said earlier, the wheel looked and felt really good. But sound goes away if I back off the tensioner 1/2 turn from hand tight. I am told that with reverse it needs to be tight. I'm stumped!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I know on the XLT's to adjust chain tension, you screw the adjuster bolt in finger tight, then back it off 1/4 turn and then tighten the lock nut down (making sure the tension bolt doesn't turn when you do so). I don't know if this same method works for a RMK or not. But since you say the whine disappears when you back the bolt out 1/2 turn, try only backing it out the 1/4 turn I just described to see if it still aleviates the whine.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It will probably wear in and stop whining after a few hundred miles, either that or break again. lol I know I'm not much help today. Have a good weekend.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts