Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a '99 chevy silverado and one of exhaust manifold bolt head is broken off. It seems like a pretty easy thing to fix but I wanted to hear some input from people who know about this sort of issue. My concerns are getting the bolt shaft out of the block and the exhaust manifold getting warped? Could someone give me an estimate for a dealership to do it? Any input is appreciated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
116 Posts
i had something like this last year. i broke a bolt off in my intake manifold. took it off and tried to easyout it out. ended up breaking the easy out in the bolt hole. DO NOT bring it to a dealership. they will charge you for several hours of work at 85$ an hour. i would try to take the head of yourself if you can. then bring it to a machine shop. or see if a machine shop will work on it for you while its still in the car. i was charged 75$ to remove the easyout, redrill the hole, and install a helicoil.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
134 Posts
i worked for gm for 8 years. and that is a very common problem the bolts had a to small of head and they would pop off, there is a change up desgin. do them all if you do them. and the only one that is tough to get is the left rear stud because of the way tghe firewall is set up

have lots of types of easy outs and a welder near buy and it should take about 2 hours to do the whole job
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,102 Posts
my dads 99 did that too while we were standing next to it. if it doesnt leak id leave it alone. his doesnt leak and this was prolly 3 years ago or so.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,749 Posts
Yes, If it isn't leaking don't bother with it. It can become a major headache. I've had a broken bolt in mine for 6 years now and it still doesn't leak.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
1down5up said:
Yes, If it isn't leaking don't bother with it. It can become a major headache. I've had a broken bolt in mine for 6 years now and it still doesn't leak.
It leaks though. ha well at least for a while. Once it gets good and warm it stops.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
15,519 Posts
I fixed one once by welding a nut to the end of the stud and turning it out.

But I would listen to what these other guys are saying.. if it ain't leakin, don't touch it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,040 Posts
What Matt says works, or drill it out and heli-coil. If your going to try to take it out I would use some heat on the area around the bolt to hopefully help it out.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
arcticcatmatt said:
I fixed one once by welding a nut to the end of the stud and turning it out.

But I would listen to what these other guys are saying.. if it ain't leakin, don't touch it
I heard that idea from a few people. It seems like it should work.. But it leaks when it starts but goes away after it warms up. I'm worried that if I leave it, some of the other bolts might break too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
282 Posts
I had a bolt pop on my 2002 avalanche , it only would leak a little when cold anyway it was under warranty but i think the dealer said it took then 2-3 hrs
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
2010719233245735_27242.jpg
Just thought id throw this up. Anyone have any ideas to make it look better?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,555 Posts
jonny_little94 said:
2010719233245735_27242.jpg
Just thought id throw this up. Anyone have any ideas to make it look better?
you could buy a brush guard from me[:D] i got em for lots of trucks. that would look sick on there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,337 Posts
jonny_little94 said:
arcticcatmatt said:
I fixed one once by welding a nut to the end of the stud and turning it out.

But I would listen to what these other guys are saying.. if it ain't leakin, don't touch it
I heard that idea from a few people. It seems like it should work.. But it leaks when it starts but goes away after it warms up. I'm worried that if I leave it, some of the other bolts might break too.
If you leave it alone, eventually, it will leak all the time. You may then need a new exhaust manifold. So, it becomes a pay me now or pay me later situation. You probably have months before you notice that it does not seal. If money is an issue now, start putting some away and fix it later.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,677 Posts
Looks are always a matter of opinion, but here's my 02 Silvy as an example. I went for more of the 'clean' look with a full debadge/demold, among other things you may notice. It went through quite the transformation from when I got it.

2010711123523772_3852.jpg
2010711123517850_3852.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quinlan said:
Looks are always a matter of opinion, but here's my 02 Silvy as an example. I went for more of the 'clean' look with a full debadge/demold, among other things you may notice. It went through quite the transformation from when I got it.

2010711123523772_3852.jpg
2010711123517850_3852.jpg
I like the look of that. I might have to do something similar to it. have you ever thought about tinting your tail lights? I plan on doing it and I think it would look good on your truck.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,677 Posts
I bid on a few pairs of tinted tails on ebay last fall when I got the pickup. They usually go for a pretty penny though. I ended up getting a pair of stock tails off a 06 Silvy for a good price instead. They aren't tinted, but do look much better than the stockers, IMO.

Stock
2009821134254415_3852.jpg


06 tails.
2010711123517850_3852.jpg
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quinlan said:
I bid on a few pairs of tinted tails on ebay last fall when I got the pickup. They usually go for a pretty penny though. I ended up getting a pair of stock tails off a 06 Silvy for a good price instead. They aren't tinted, but do look much better than the stockers, IMO.

Stock
2009821134254415_3852.jpg


06 tails.
2010711123517850_3852.jpg
Yeah the '06 tail lights look a lot better. What kind of rims do you have on it?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
863 Posts
Quinlan said:
I bid on a few pairs of tinted tails on ebay last fall when I got the pickup. They usually go for a pretty penny though. I ended up getting a pair of stock tails off a 06 Silvy for a good price instead. They aren't tinted, but do look much better than the stockers, IMO.

Stock
2009821134254415_3852.jpg


06 tails.
2010711123517850_3852.jpg
at the local canadian tire they have a spray on translucent tint for $13
couple buddy's did it to their trucks and it looks sweet IMO
not sure where you could get the same product.
it is called PVT night shades.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
11,677 Posts
jonny_little94 said:
Yeah the '06 tail lights look a lot better. What kind of rims do you have on it?
The rims I currently have on are Dick Cepek DC-2's (black center caps) in a 16x8. I previously had the DC-1 models (chrome center caps), but the clear coat started chipping badly, so I got them warrantied and replaced for free. They have discontinued the DC-1 due to too many problems and warranty claims I presume. The DC-2 is almost identical, aside from a different center cap and no imitation bead lock. The tires are Cooper Zeon LTZ's in a 265/75/16.


mxz440kid said:
at the local canadian tire they have a spray on translucent tint for $13
couple buddy's did it to their trucks and it looks sweet IMO
not sure where you could get the same product.
it is called PVT night shades.
Pretty sure it's VHT NightShades...not PVT. And, IMO, they look like crap compared to a quality, professionally painted set of tinted tails.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mxz440kid said:
Quinlan said:
I bid on a few pairs of tinted tails on ebay last fall when I got the pickup. They usually go for a pretty penny though. I ended up getting a pair of stock tails off a 06 Silvy for a good price instead. They aren't tinted, but do look much better than the stockers, IMO.

Stock
2009821134254415_3852.jpg


06 tails.
2010711123517850_3852.jpg
at the local canadian tire they have a spray on translucent tint for $13
couple buddy's did it to their trucks and it looks sweet IMO
not sure where you could get the same product.
it is called PVT night shades.
I'm assuming they just painted it from the outside? I plan on doing it from the inside. once I figure out how to get my tail lights apart.. haha
 

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top