Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just replaced the chain case bearings on my 94 Polaris RXL 650 and after doing all the work I had one bolt left to complete the job. I was putting the rear suspension back in and I had the sled on its side to put the last bolt in. Got it in and turned the sled over and realized I had snapped the opposide side rear mount for the suspension(my suspension is held on by 4 bolts, two in the front and two in the rear, I snapped the rear one). I drilled out the mount piece and will try to get it welded today. My question is, do I need to use the rivets again to put the mount back in or can i use some bolts with lock washeds and a lock nut? Also, will the welded peice be able to hold or should I search for a new/used one? If I need to use the rivets, where can I ge them and what kind of tool puts them in. They seem to be airplane type rivets, not the little ones you get for sheet metal.

Thanks

Sherriff

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hey,
Just had this problem on a 92' Rxl. I actually had to make the brackets out of steel, but instead of using rivets I used bolts. Went on a 200 mile ride yesterday and they held up great.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Im assuming you didnt actually break the bolt that goes into the cross shaft.That you broke the sheet metal bracket that is rivited onto the tunnel.That bracket should be available at your dealer ,ive also seen them at a few after market places,but if you trust the weld...then yes,get some grade 5(grade 8 are stronger,but they have a tendancy to break instead of bend when they are stressed too far.)1/4 inch bolts.If you want to use nylock nuts, go for it,I used regular nuts with red locktite on my 88 indy 400 on both sides of the tunnel and it held fine.I was merciless on that sled too.

Good luck

·
Registered
275 Posts
I had to do the same thing with my 90 Indy Trail. Due to the way I ride combined with my 300 pound weight the bolts began wearing larger, oval shaped holes. I picked a set of plates from a wrecked machine and used 1/4" bolts. I can't remeber the length 1 1/4" or 1 1/2". Make sure you use large washers on either side for support and nyloc nuts. I have put 1500 miles on my sled this year with no trouble at all.
Sorry for the long post...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts