Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my speedo go out last winter on my 1990 indy 650. I didnt think much of it and rode it the rest of the season around 200 miles. just took the speedo cover off to expose speedo key and bearing, key was broke but i think the bearing looks ok? thinking of just repacking with grease and calling it good. Does anyone know any indicators if the bearing is bad or getting bad?
I already loosened the track and wiggled the drive shaft and there was no play in it.
thanks.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
A lot of times the speedo key breaking IS the sign the bearing is going bad. Considering you broke the key twice now, I'd replace the bearing for peace of mind if anything. Better time and a little money spent now than risking it going bad on a trip or out on the trail.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've had mine go out on the trail and it puts a huge damper on a ride. My thoughts are change it now. You have started tearing into it, so why do it twice.

As far as bearings going bad - they shouldn't have any sticky spots or play as you spin them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
treeclmb1 said:
I had my speedo go out last winter on my 1990 indy 650. I didnt think much of it and rode it the rest of the season around 200 miles. just took the speedo cover off to expose speedo key and bearing, key was broke but i think the bearing looks ok? thinking of just repacking with grease and calling it good. Does anyone know any indicators if the bearing is bad or getting bad?
I already loosened the track and wiggled the drive shaft and there was no play in it.
thanks.
i did mine last year.i didnt even have to loosen the track, the hardest part was putting the houseing back on with out having the bolts fall thru..took me bout a hour tops

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Like said above, the speedo going out is a sure sign of a bearing going. Had this happen to me once, speedo went out but the bearing lasted about 100 miles before it went, knew it was gonna happen but couldn't do anything as I was in the middle of a winter caribou hunt and didn't have any spare parts with me; just hoped that I would get home to fix this before it went - no such luck. Bearing went out and damaged my drive shaft and chain case housing, had to buy new shaft and housing. Since then I always change out the bearing whenever my speedo key breaks for peace of mind. Pay a little now or pay a sh*tload latter.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts
Replaced the bearing when the speedo whent out on mine. Not that hard to do. Better do it now than to wait.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
If your angle drive spins freely, and the speedometer cable spins freely, replace the bearing. The bearing causes the speedo key to shear 90% of the time.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
just happened on my buddies 96 vmax. he i tossing the idea of changing the bearing. i told him to change it. cheap insurance so you know it wont goout on you on the trail. jut thinkif it does go out on the trail and wha damage it can do before you hear it banging and pounding the s h i t out of you chassis. then to have someone tow you off the trail and have it spin even more. IMO change it now while you can.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Bearings are cheap. Just replace both driveshaft bearings and not have to worrk for a while. Like Quinlan said, the key breaking is the sign of a bad bearing.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yea ok you talked me into it... going up to gaylord MI in january and what the ride to be perfect, so i am wondering does the chain case bearing just come out when that snap ring is removed or do i have to take the whole drive shaft out? and on the pto side does same thing can i pull that bearing out by what looks like a race that sticks out farther than the rest of the bearing? have never replaced these bearings before.
thanks...

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
you want to do all of them or just the one? its pretty easy. i did all four in about a hour n n a half.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
do i have to take the chain case off on the mag side to get that bearing out? or will it just pop out when that snap ring is off?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts