Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My hood cable snapped slamming my hood onto the garage floor cracking my new windshield!!

Any ideas on how to repair it? Can it be repaired? My 2002 trail pass is stickered on it and I would like to save it for this year.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
My friend did the same thing with his sled, except it cracked his hood....thing was perfect before too!! As for fixing it.....Duct Tape?

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

founding member of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team......you will believe!!​

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
got a sled with duct tape on the windshield. Funny but works. With the trail pass just take it to them and show them they will give you a new one. My cousin put his on right when we got to New York last year then we went riding right away. Next day we noticed it was gone. Oh well just took the reciept back to them and they gave him and new one and said put it on when it is warmer.

·
Registered
948 Posts
Is the windscreen just cracked or is it in pieces?

Try to locate a plastic welder in your area. Plastic manufaturers or the like. It'll probably cost you more than a replacement but at least you save the trail pass. Can't you just heat the sticker off?

-----------------------------
I think.... therefore I sled
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After looking closer I also cracked the hood. I used the short strand fibreglass from a can to re inforce it. Hope it works.

The windshield is cracked in half!

I wonder if I could find black duct tape?

·
Registered
948 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Indy triple:

After looking closer I also cracked the hood. I used the short strand fibreglass from a can to re inforce it. Hope it works.

The windshield is cracked in half!

I wonder if I could find black duct tape?

[/quote]

Two pieces? I think you're hooped dude. Try getting the sticker off the old one and replace. Note to self... don't put trail pass on windscreen. [ chuckle ]
Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

Edited by - Bman on December 19 2001 7:55:06 PM

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
hate cracking hoods. Last time I did we patched it with fiber glass and marine adhesive lets just say it broke again. Sucked. My old sled had an air duct that the hood latch was attached too. Well I threw it open one too many times(when I was a dumb kid) and it finally started tearing off. The fiberglass broke later that week :(

·
Registered
278 Posts
As for the cracked hood, Fiberglass might work on the older fiberglass hoods. But the newer ones aren't fiberglass and fiberglass resin doesn't bond very well. I used epoxy resin (after trying fiberglass)with the fiberglass cloth to fix my friend's hood on his 2000 Polaris last year. Still seems to holding.

RtkatZL8

·
Registered
15 Posts
By the time you go thru the bull to tape this and hope it holds with the wind resistance your better off spending the $75 for a new one. they will give you a new sticker

THUNDER

·
Administrator
13,091 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote><font size=1 face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>Originally posted by Bman:

Is the windscreen just cracked or is it in pieces?

Try to locate a plastic welder in your area. Plastic manufaturers or the like. It'll probably cost you more than a replacement but at least you save the trail pass. Can't you just heat the sticker off?

Two '94 Indy XLT SKS[/quote]

"Windscreen"? I've never heard that before. I like it!

Anywho, you are better off to get a new windsheild, if you tape it, and the cold makes the tape let go, you can get nailed with a chunk of windsheild. Or if you hit something accidentally and fly into it, the tape can let go and you can get hurt.

Just my $.02

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I Love B&M Coasters.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Indy, Man it sucks to be you right now! New wind screen $75, hood repair$25, Not lookin' like a moron with duct tape one your sled...PRICELESS. PS. they do make black duct tape. And cut your permit out of your wind screen and carry it in your pocket. If you peel it it will be void. Sorry about your luck.

Spaceman
Mean Green Racing
Elyria, Ohio

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the tips. If anyone wants to see my sled before I broke the windshield its posted in My Sled under "Can any one post a pic for me?"

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Oh i was that pretty sled too? Ooooo that hurts the team! Sorry to hear about your bad luck man!

2002 Arctic Cat ZR 800 EFI

founding member of the Arctic Cat Mind Control Team......you will believe!!​

Edited by - intendedacceleration on 20 Dec 2001 11:09:34

·
Registered
268 Posts
replacements are expensive depending on what kind of windshield you want. Look to dennis kirk for one.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ride Snowmobiles, baseball, bowling, and golf require only ONE ball!!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

·
Registered
948 Posts
that's funny PM, I've never used the term windsheild unless i refer to a car.

I think I get that from my motorcycle though. I've gone through a few windscreens on that so it must be stuck in my head. [ shrug ]

Two '94 Indy XLT SKS

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
OH MAN!!! THAT SUX SO MUCH DUDE!!! i remember which was yours. Wow that blows that thing is a sweet looking sled for its age.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
If you get a new windscreen try somthing we do here. Take the old screen and cut out a part of it that will hold your registration and permits. A part that still has the tabs into the hood on it. Apply the new registration on the piece that you cut out and insert it behind the windscreen attach it with the same rubbers that hold the windscreen on. The registration and permits show through the windscreen and if it gets broken the registration is still good, it just goes back on with the new parts.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Hey good idea erick. I went through a windshield a few years back, not very much fun. I can't remeber if i tried salvaging the trail pass. hmmmm.... oh well it happened at the end of the season anyway.

Tree's don't make the greatest brakes... On second thought neither do hydropoles"

1 - 20 of 26 Posts