Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i started building a new 03 snopro drag sled. So far i have put the bulkhead and tunnel & footrests together, put on the chaincase, brake rotor, Mod sled sno-x gas tank, seat, steering colum, drivers, handle bars,bumpers,sno pro rear skid is ready to go in, the Just picked up a new 1" track, Front a-arms are on the way, Repainted the spindles last night to match the green a-arms, i have the belly pans, skis, steering tie rods and linkage, still needs a hood, motor and clutches, have been thinking about what motor to put in but have made no major desicions on what to do there? I was thinkin f7 bottom end with big bore kit but that can get pretty pricey so i was also thinkin maybe buy 440 500,600 or 700, run it in stock classes or tweak it and run improved stock? Also if i build a stocker it can be converted quickly to ride on the trails as a loaner or if my ride ever breaks down. Does anyone have any ideas on what i should do? does anyone know about any firecat motors for sale & price??? Also i have a stock gas tank if i decide to go with a stock or improved stock sled!
heres a couple pics
[attachment=53093]
new track 13.5x128x1 its new i just havent cleaned it yet,
[attachment=53094]
ski spindels I just painted to match the a-arms i ordered
Heres some new pics
[attachment=53437][attachment=53438]
[attachment=53440][attachment=53441]
[attachment=53442][attachment=53443]
[attachment=53444][attachment=53452]
Thats a few pics of how its goin so far! Notice the mod sled gas tank, it wont get you to far but its really functional and looks pretty cool too!!! Also the black seat is from my firecat i will be using the green 440 seat!Rear skid is also out of my 03 F5 snopro! Oh and sorry everthng is so dirty i am just fitting all the parts then i will pull everything off clean them till they look like new, Then it will all go back together for the finished product!

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
i know someone selling a 03 firecat D&D 700 mod motor in perfect condition $1500, dynoed at something like $160/170 Hp on pump gas and still trail rideable. PM if you want his number. I know it has Chrome D&D twin pipes, Heads, and a few other things but I don't much about it.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow $1500 ill pm you thanks. Now that sounds like the perfect motor and the perfect $$$$$$$$!!!!! Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I can take some pics later this week when I stop in there. The motor looks brand new and the chrome pipes are hot. After seein this motor and price it made me wish I has a spare chassie laying around. For $1500 you cant beat the price and what it would cost for a chassie it could be a great sled for very little money

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ill be puttin up pics soon im just to lazy to grab a camera and use it while im workin!!!

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Jeez, you got a lot of stuff done already. We need to see pics, it sounds like this could be a awesome sled.

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
what kind of drags? for grass or ice you should have the 9811 track. its what the pros use. unless a one inch is required for your rules.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It will be used for both grass & Ice drags and occasional rip through the trails! I know thats the track i wanted but a got a very good deal on the 1 inch track. Also i wanted more of an all purpose track, That speed track is sweet though! Most of the drags i race are in the grass! I race a few regional events and 1 national at the lake county fair grounds in ill.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got my A-arms this weekend they dont match the spindles exactly!
So it looks like im repainting the a-arms also!!!
[attachment=53651]

Attachments

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I picked up all the nuts & bolts to put the front suspention together today, $84.00 later i put it all together, and this is what it looks like b4 repainting and final fit on the sled.
[attachment=53672]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
wow $84 for nuts and bolts thats crazy. looks like its gonan be kickars

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
No kidding i had a 30 gift certificat thought that would cover it! I was wrong!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Got some more work done on the sled last night!! Its finnally starting to look like a sled!!! Heres some pics.
[attachment=53820][attachment=53821]
F7-fanatic see i took the shock cover off for ya. You were totally right makes it way easier to adjust the shock!!!
[attachment=53822][attachment=53823]
[attachment=53824]
[attachment=53825]
^^This is just a pic of whats goin on in the garage

Attachments

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
when i was putting my bars on my sled i lost a botl went to the dealer he said $8 for a little bolt went to menards got the same bolt for $.23

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just wanted to make sure everything is dealer perfect in the suspension, the bolts i saw at the hardware store were not exactly the same the thread length was different. Also needed a couple of the ball joints that radius rods connect to. Not sure what those cost never looked at the receipt. Oh by the way 84.00 was with my dicount there!!!

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got very lucky!!! As you know i had to repant the spindles cause they were silver. I bought some cat green paint at the dealer, i painted the spindles, but when the a-arms showed up they were not the same green, On 03 snopros they were lighter and more of a lime green color. Bad part is they dont make the paint anymore! After seaching every where for some i got lucky Bruce at Arctic Cat had a can at home for his race sleds, He was the man and hooked me up with it! Now they are repainted And I have an original colored front suspension and Im one happy camper!!!
Well the chassis is almost done then the Fun stuff begins!! I will be getting a nice bonus soon and with my tax returns the motor will becoming soon!!

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
you are better to use oem bolts. like you said the thread length is different. the cheap bolts might be riding on threads where the oem bolts are on shank. meaning the cheap bolts will get sloppy real fast. with the winters we have had lately you might want pump gas heads on your motor. that way you can take it on a trip and ride it. unless something changes real fast. most of the ice racing will be cancelled.

I am thinking of in a year or two getting an asphalt track and trying that.

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Asphalt would be a blast! If we dont start getting snow ill do the same!! Or get into water-X

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
water x would be fun but your gonna go through some $$$ in parts.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts