Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im going to be building a vintage oval racer. heres the deal i want to run a disk brake right down on the drive shaft for less rotating inertia. problem is i cant get an extended drive shaft to allow me to run the disk outside the tunnel. so as of now the plan is the disk will be inside the tunnel on the drive shaft right next to one of the track drivers. my question is how much snow do you think will contact the brake disk. will it cause the disk to be wet all the time and provide poor breaking performance. this is an oval sled so i will need to use the breaks a lot should the heat from friction keep it dry?

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I wouldn't really be worried about snow because most oval tracks are on ice! what kind of sled is it?

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Remember when the disk is only turning half as fast on the drive shaft as the jackshaft it will take twice the brake pressure to get the same braking performance as the disk spinning twice as fast.
You will need to apply twice the pressure so find a brake caliper with twice the piston size or a brake handle with half the piston size as you started out with.
The disk on the inside of the tunnel will get wet with either ice of snow and will suffer because of initial slip until it dries each time you use it.
Would be better to mount it on the dry side of the tunnel.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
outside the tunnel would be better but its not possible. the drive shaft im using is an original NOS drive shaft its aluminum. it came from a different model maybe an early wide track GT sno jet. it has the correct spline and length to fit my 75 sno jet. thers no way i can have a custom length drive shaft made with the sno jet splines. if i was to go that route i would have it made from titanium and i dont have the cash for that. maybe i could build some type of sheild to keep the snow off the brake.

·
Registered
510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
on another note take a look at the new wahl drag chassis it seamingly has the brake disk inside the tunnel very similar to the way mine will be. i know its a drag chassis and the brakes wont need to be used as much but if wahl brothers is confident that they can make the sled stop after a 1?? mph run with this setup then i think i can get it to work for me. http://www.wahlracing.com/archives/wahl-drag-chassis-image1.php

·
Registered
5 Posts
im going to be building a vintage oval racer. heres the deal i want to run a disk brake right down on the drive shaft for less rotating inertia. problem is i cant get an extended drive shaft to allow me to run the disk outside the tunnel. so as of now the plan is the disk will be inside the tunnel on the drive shaft right next to one of the track drivers. my question is how much snow do you think will contact the brake disk. will it cause the disk to be wet all the time and provide poor breaking performance. this is an oval sled so i will need to use the breaks a lot should the heat from friction keep it dry?
off topic but how would one start racing and how to build a sled set up for the oval track

1 - 11 of 11 Posts