Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today, getting ready for the Snow Ridge Hill Climbs up here in good old CNY, i was messing around on my sled and took a friend for a quick ride....just pulled out of thier yard and hit some pow on the bank and road into the road and all of a sudden all hell breaks loose...

mind you im doing at maximum 6000rpm or at the time about 15 MPH, and i hear a thud thud thud spiiiiiiin of the motor track locks up and i shut er down real quick...

figurin its a blown belt, i pop open the hood and notice my primary clutch is just kinda laying in my bellypan [V][xx(]

Upon further inspection the primary clutch bolt Sheered off INSIDE my crank shaft end rendering the entire motor USELESS....

should be a 1-2 hour job depending if we have to pull the motor or not, but that just about bursts my bubble! anyone else hear of this happening? clutch bolt had maybe 325 miles on it (brand new this year) and it was always torqued to 37-40ft lbs when we changed things....ill get some pics tomorrow

·
Registered
187 Posts
EDIT:
Didn't see it said bolt, and not crank end. Yeah, just easy out the end of the bolt. Not a big deal, just be careful not to break off an easy out. Sucks either way, but make sure you check everything else out as well. A clutch rolling around can cause some serious collateral damage. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
123 Posts
okay that sucks. u should be abl3 to get it out. there is no tension on the bolt any more... and the bolt should be torque to 65 foot pounds

·
Registered
84 Posts
Last dudes post is right. Should spin right out of the crank.
Most likely screw had a material inperfection/ microfracture (cant see) and failed.
It happens. Good luck

·
Registered
502 Posts
get an "EASY OUT" screw extractor and it should come right out.. you can get them at Advance Auto Parts, or AutoZone, or your favorite auto parts store..just ask them!

·
Registered
3,121 Posts
That sucks Brenden, hope you get it all taken care of so we can ride soon. When it rains it poors.lol

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ahh after calming down, (thought about it all night) i got to thinkin i might be able to get er out, theres a little lip on the end of the threads, gonna try takin a small screwdriver and slowly tapping one side of the bolt out, and hopefully since theres no tension or anything of the sort on it, and the fact it was just out last week, i hope she comes out!

I was gonna run the 600 mod class at the races with it last night, but a guy who beat be before by 3-4 sled lengths (600 Pro X) got beat by a sled length by a guy running NOS no chance for my little ol' XLT!

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I know a guy who had his clutch bolt snap like that and the clutch shattered his knee when it came out through the hood. Count yourself lucky.

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
If you need easy outs, I have a few large ones. With great luck, you can spin that piece out. I dont think I have a clutch bolt though. call steve and let him know, if you need the ez outs, and we will run them over to you.

·
Registered
700 Posts
You did replace it with a grade 5 or better bolt right? 65ft-lbs is a bit high. 50-55 is more like it.

·
Registered
77 Posts
since you will be drilling, go get a reverse pitch drill bit.the bolt should spin out when drilling.if not you have the hole ready to go.

·
Registered
807 Posts
The bolt didn't fail- The clutch came loose and broke bolt off. Always re-torque clutch bolt after 50 miles on new install. Good idea to take to Polaris dealer and get clutch internal taper reamed. Ridges and slight galling of taper are big factors for clutches coming off or siezing on.

·
Registered
2,916 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Thinksno
[br]The bolt didn't fail- The clutch came loose and broke bolt off. Always re-torque clutch bolt after 50 miles on new install. Good idea to take to Polaris dealer and get clutch internal taper reamed. Ridges and slight galling of taper are big factors for clutches coming off or siezing on.

Hit the nail on the head....

the bolt came right out with a few counter clockwise turns of a flathead screw driver....

It seems that the clutch did infact come loose (shown on the inner sheave of the primary, lotsa little ridges) and wobbled its way off, pretty dissapointed but $9 later i got a new bolt and rode it tonight, torqued it to 45ftlbs and was good to go
put on prolly 10-15 miles of good quality riding. While the clutch was off changed the primary spring for some more oomph on the XLT, kept right up with an edge x 700 so i was happy. Will recheck the torque in a few more miles, just to be safe! Ill post the pics tomorrow....

·
Registered
777 Posts
check the torque BEFORE you ride again, garanteed it will need tighting to hit 45lbs

·
Registered
251 Posts
Originally posted by Thinksno
[br]The bolt didn't fail- The clutch came loose and broke bolt off. Always re-torque clutch bolt after 50 miles on new install. Good idea to take to Polaris dealer and get clutch internal taper reamed. Ridges and slight galling of taper are big factors for clutches coming off or siezing on.
This is EXACTLY what I was thinking. Per the Polaris service manual the bolt torque should be 40-45 ft lbs although some domestic engines using P-85s require 50 ft lbs becasue they have a slightly smaller 14mm shaft. You shoud definatly check the torque after your first run. Whenever I have a clutch off I torque this bolt and I make a couple 500 ft passes, afterwards the torque value drops AT LEAST 20 ft lbs.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts