Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe my 95 Indy 500 efi is using too much oil. After idling in one spot for a few minutes there is a film of oil under the exhaust that you can drag a finger through and write your name. This seems to be more that my friends 2000 MXZ 600 and 88 Phazer. Also the plugs are black and wet with oil in the threads and on the tips. The sled ran great all day yesterday but I did use more oil than my friends. My questions are: is this condition bad if there is no performance drawbacks and how can it be corrected? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
The only way that you can check it is to look at the scribe marks on the oil pump casting, and the mark on the rotating plate that is attached to the throttle cable. The marks should line up with the throttle closed, and then the other mark will line up at wide open throttle. If you dont mind spending a little more for oil i would say that there is nothing to worry about. A little extra lube, might even help the motor last a little bit longer. The performance you might possibly lose due to the extra oil is so minute that you wouldnt notice a difference. Only way you would notice a difference is if you are fouling out spark plugs.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
I'd say your carbs are to rich. Does is smoke excessively, especially at idle. If not its the carbs. I've had the same puddle under the exhaust but it was from the floats being set to high. Too much oil would tend to leave carbon on the plugs. To test for too much fuel take starting fluid and spray a plug. Wetness would then go away. If the plugs don't foul out in more than a couple hundred miles of riding, screw it.

"Faster than a speeding ticket....and then some"

·
Registered
529 Posts
My 00 500 XC SP was and to a certain point still is burning to much oil. I lined up the marks on my pump last year and I am slowly going to turn it back more yet. Be carefull doing this though you can nuke the engine real fast.

·
Administrator
13,091 Posts
using too much oil is far better than using too little oil, your engine will last longer this way.

http://www.bolliger-mabillard.com

I Love B&M Coasters.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts