Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I am looking at buying a 2004 artic cat f7 nightfire. The only thing that is making me wonder is that the owner told me the tunnel has a foot long tear in it from a stud breaking loose. Is this something of a major concern that should not be driven until repaired? Also can I repair with by welding? or do i have to buy a whole new tunnel assembly?

·
Registered
258 Posts
yeah..you can have it aluminum welded if its not too bad. Maybe take a pic and show the guy at your shop if its possible to do. Im pretty sure you will prob have to remove the track, suspension, seat and maybe gas tank so the guy can get in their and weld it. Again this depends on where the split is.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
If the tear is in the coolers, that will be an expensive fix. Can you get pictures?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea he is going to get some pics for me in the morning and I will post them here once i get them. Is it something that you dont want to ride until fixed?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
reason number 100000000X why i do not like studs.

·
Registered
311 Posts
As long as its not in the cooler its an easy fix! Just clear off the tunnel and weld it up! If the cooler is cut its a lot more work! I have some experience with studs through coolers! Did it on my past two sleds and its a pain in the azz. I had to weld my front cooler up on my zr and the skid, track, and driveshaft needed to be removed. Also welding on a cooler is tricky cause you can't get the inside super clean. And anyone who's welded aluminum knows its tricky enough when its clean new aluminum!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Tear is not on the cooler so once i see pictures im really leaning towards picking up up and repairing it and then putting a tunnel protector in. Has anyone put a tunnel protector on this model and know about how difficult that will be?

·
Registered
4,299 Posts
Think of it this way, the bulkhead and tunnel are the support structure for your whole snowmobile. All of the forces from the suspension, engine, jumping etc go straight into this "frame". Weaken it with a bend, ripple or tear and it's going to crumble.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Where is the gash? If it is under the seat on the top of the tunnel it shouldn't matter to much to the integrity of the sled. I certainly wouldn't worry about it if everything else was what I wanted it to be.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

There is 2 pictures. He said it runs great! He said the gash is about a foot long so the camera may seem, deceiving on length.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Sure does look like more than a foot. I messed up when I studded
my F-cat and had a couple of those down the outside edges of the tunnel.
Repaired it with two strips of aluminum sealed with sylicon rivited under the seat.
Yours, being in the center, you MAY be able to repair with a piece of square
aluminum tubeing installed under the seat, and fit down into that channel.
If rivoted in from the sides, shouldn't be a problem.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts