Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about buying a new track for my 1999 Polaris Indy Trail 488 f/c, it had a 133"X15" track on it,(I layed the old track out and measured it) and the track that I am thinking about buying is a camoplast 136x15x1.5 and I am wondering if the extra 3 inches is going to be a problem, AND can the adjusters on the track take up that much slack?

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I think it will be good but you might need to put extentions on the adjusters.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
ZRT is right. That track won't work without rail extensions. Which should not be too hard to find... But will add a bit to the total cost of the project.

-Dean

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The 'new' take-off track is only $150, the guy wants to get rid of it, said it sat all winter long. He sold a sled to a customer and it had this 1.5" lug track on it and the guy wanted a 'deeper' paddle track instead so they took this one off and it sat in the shop all winter long, I didn't figure that I would go too bad with it only being $150 ?? so if I have to spend a little more for a few other things, then I will still make out good.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
VTSheener you may be able to move your suspension back instead of getting rail extensions. Riley

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Hey VT,
I just put a 1.25 on my '99 500 XC, it's a 121, and should make a huge difference in hookup. With the stock track it broke loose right away on hardpack, and spun lots in stuble, just cruising accross the fields.

A 1.25" lug will fit no problem, but I think that you will not only need rail extensions, but smaller drive sprockets too, to accomodate the 1.5" lug. I know that is the case on liquid cooled Polaris', but not positive on fans....anybody know for sure?

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
actualy I am not so concerned about the lug HEIGHT as the length of the track, it is going to be 3 inches longer and I was just wondering if the adjusters were going to be able to take up that 3 inches and still have adjustment left...it appears that from what I hear on here, that I will need some extenders instead...maybe I will wait and still look around, this deal was a good one, but I am sure that there will be a few more as the summer progresses (hopefully!)

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Whether you are concerned about lug height or not, it will be a factor on fitment to your sled.

I think that a 1.5 is overkill for a 488 fan anyway, it would add too much rotating mass and you would loose top end, a 1.25 would be a better choice...although I realise you were looking at it beacuse it was a steal of a deal.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I would just move the rear skid back an inch or 1.25" this will improve your track angle too. Make you get up on top of the snow better. An 1.5" x 136 is a lot of track for a 488 fan. You may need to gear down one tooth on the top.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts