Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I purchase a sled in Minnesota from a private individual how do I check to see if there are any liens against it and how can I make sure it's not stolen property? Does a title show if it is clear or not? If you could, please post either a web link or a phone number for some goverment agency I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

·
Registered
892 Posts
Minnesota does not have titles for snowmobiles, just the license registration that is signed and the time of selling. This does have the vin number of the sled on it and when they transfer the sled it should show the previous owner. I guess that is one way to tell if it was stole.

I just sold one of mine yesterday.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Maybe check the MN DNR site to see if they have some kind of VIN lookup thingie.

Always, get a signed and dated sales receipt. Doesn't have to be fancy.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Originally posted by Baero
[br]Minnesota does not have titles for snowmobiles, just the license registration that is signed and the time of selling. This does have the vin number of the sled on it and when they transfer the sled it should show the previous owner. I guess that is one way to tell if it was stole.

they have titles for snowmobiles we have them for ours.

·
Registered
284 Posts
sometimes banks will hold the title to a sled if there is a lien on it... it should also say somewhere on the title that it has a lien against it.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
Originally posted by foxracing
[br]
[br]Minnesota does not have titles for snowmobiles, just the license registration that is signed and the time of selling. This does have the vin number of the sled on it and when they transfer the sled it should show the previous owner. I guess that is one way to tell if it was stole.

No, they do not have titles. The above poster was correct, they ONLY have MN DNR registration.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
There are no titles. All you need is a VIN to register a sled in MN. As for checking if it is stolen or whatnot, I'm not sure.

·
Registered
963 Posts
Originally posted by ripperd
[br]
Originally posted by foxracing
[br]

No, they do not have titles. The above poster was correct, they ONLY have MN DNR registration.
your right sorry thats what i was thinking of the MN DNR regestration papers that we have.

·
Registered
284 Posts
call your local police department and have them run the vin. Here in michigan thats what I have done on jetskis and dirtbikes and they dont seem to have a problem doing it for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts