Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i need an educated opinion. Im looking at two 1996 XLT's which are for sale. they are bothe super clean, and have been stored indoors. One is $2800 cnd. and it has 3700 miles, the engine was rebuilt rescently, and it looks in great shape. it just has one little tiny crack on the hood. it has a 136X1.25 track, and everything else is stock. the other one is $3800 cnd. and has 2500 miles. It is super clean, with no scratches, anywhere, and is piped. and it has a 136X2 track. Which one should i go for? I want em' both but i don't have the money. I'm looking for a sled thats going to be reliable, and I'm a hardcore boondocker/ditch banger. thnx for any help[:)]

·
Registered
330 Posts
I'd go for the piped one with the 136x2. I have a 96 XLT Special and that the thing hauls major tail, I'm not sure what it would be like piped, that price seems a little high, thou it is cnd, so I'm not sure about the conversion. I paid $2000 american for mine last year with 1200 miles on it

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
i dont know about the piped one. alot of XLT's that were piped blew the cranks out of them but some didnt, so i dont know.

·
Registered
1,744 Posts
I'd vote first one, cheaper, its not piped so it will be more than likely be more reliable, and it has the 1.25 track. 2'' just seems like alot if your not going to be in a huge amount of snow all the time.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i would stick with the stock pipes. These blocks are known for their bearing problems, and more power can mean more failure. I have a 1995 xlt sp with plastic skis, FAST easysteer, SLP airbox and EPI clutch kit and I love it. Good luck and lots of snow

·
Registered
2 Posts
In '98 the XLT was vastly improved. One of the improvements was making the crank burly. Think about that and get a newer one. The extra money not only gets you a better sled, maybe some piece of mind. If UR hell bent on choosing from the 2, get the stocker.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thnxs for the replies guys and from what i've been told i think i'll keep searching for a newer sled, cuz i'd ride either one of them for a year and they'd need a rebuild cuz they're already nearing the end of their life span.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
no not really 3700 miles is not much at all we have sleds that travil with us that have 7000 miles on them without rebuilds

·
Registered
133 Posts
Go with the first one, its cheaper, its stock and should last a very long time. Xlt's will last and last as long as you don't pipe them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts