Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to purchase my first sled which I know nothing about snowmobiles. My g/f and I are going to be using it together for going on trips.. so I'm going to buy a 2 seater.. But I need opinions on the sleds I'm looking at since I don't trust the dealers. I'm about 150lbs and by g/f is 110lbs and we will always be together when riding. The longer the details/opinions the better.. and Thanks in advance

Polaris
2002 two-up 600 classic touring (leftovers?? better deal)
2003 two-up 600 classic touring (better features then 2002?? or is it the same sled)
2003 two-up 700 classic touring (600 to weak for the weight???)

Yamaha
2003 Venture 600 (I don't know the history on yamaha sleds/quality)

Ski-Doo
2003 Grand touring SE (pricey.. not sure if I want to go that high)

I've printed out the specs on all the sleds I've listed but I'm not sure what I should be looking for. I keep hearing polaris is the way to go.. AGain, I welcome and appreciate all opinions of the sleds I listed. but please be neutral..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Oh.. The polaris is very appealing. $99 a month for the life of the loan.. 9.9% interest.. but still keeping my options open

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Dont know too much about touring sleds but I would suggest you insist on reverse for what ever sled you pick. the 600 will have enough of power for two up riding. But I always advocate to get as big(motor) a sled as you can afford. Many dont agree but they usually have smaller sleds.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Cruznis300, I agree you should look at a sled with reverse. If you can get a 2002 sled for a good deal get it. The 2003 models really are not that different just a little more money. The 4 sled makers all make good machines however it seems to me that you can usually get a better deal on the Polaris. The 600cc classic touring is a very nice machine that should be fun and reliable.[:D]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All the sleds that I listed.. come with reverse, electric start, mirrors, headed controls along with heated rear passenger handles. I'm getting it loaded.. just not sure what brand is best. I love the looks of the yamaha.. but the deal on the polaris.. just the financing alone is cheaper/better

As far as engine size.. If I get the polaris.. I'll prob get the 700.. but the bigger.. the more gas.. The yamaha goes from a 600 to an 800.. and that's just too much for me.. Waist of money. I can do 100mph on my friends polaris 500 indy.. no need for an 800..

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Any one know who has the best two-up suspension? I think that is next important to the power. It can make or break your trip.

·
Registered
506 Posts
well, I used to ride a yamaha venture 600 and I'll say right now that it had great gas mileage, was very comfortable, and could knock off 140kph like nothing (90mph)

very comfortable sled, looks nice, rides nice, suspension is good

overall a good sled

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
hotrod... Thanks for bringing up suspension. I imagine it will be a little more difficult for the rear passenger or I should say discomfort not being in control. Here's the suspension details for the sleds... any insight on what's better would be much appreciated

yamaha - front suspension - independent, trialing arm 9" clearance
front shocks, hydrolic with gas cell
rear suspension - proaction plus with quick adjust 11.5" clearance
rear shock, hydrolic with gas cell

polaris 2002 600 - front susp - xtra, crc ???
front shock, ryde afx
rear susp - xtra-12
rear sock, select
2003 600 same as 2002 10"/12" clearance

2003 700 - front susp - edge crc 10.3" clearance
front shock, ryde afx
rear susp - edge touring 13.9"clearance
rear shock, nitrex

Ski doo i'm not sure on the specs.. can't find the paper

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I just went riding with a friend who has the edge suspension in a 800. I have a 2000 with the xtra crc and xtra 10 in the rear. I can tell you with out a doubt the edge is light years better than mine on the severe bumps especially. If you are going only on manicuered up northern trails the xtra will be fine but if you expect to encounter rough trails and you can afford it get the edge suspension. It appears you would get the 700 motor as well. A win win situation.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Have you heard of Epinions on the web. Sometimes when im going to make a major purchase I check there. You get ratings from actual owners of what ever you are looking at. Dont know if snowmobiles are on there but you could check and see.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
You didn't say if you had riden before, but you do realize that a 600, even with 2 ppl on will get to 100 mph in no time. Don't waste your money on anything larger, unless you are a real speed demon,

The only way that the 700's really shine is on a smooth as glass wide-open stretch, on the trails, any liquid cooled sled will have plenty of snap to stay with the pack.

If you plan on long tours between gas stops, the 600 will get you there with more gas in your tank than the 7's. My 500 (1 up) can go 110 - 120 miles on a tank.

But for the best ride in 2 up mode, the Arctic Cat Pantera is the Cadillac of touring machines, but you gotta pay for it.

But reverse is a definite for these big sleds.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Last year there was a guy on here I think it was confusedguy. He was asking for opinions on size of sled. I told him to go big many people said not to. Well guess what hes on hear this year asking on tips on how to make his machine faster. Im not positive of the name forgive me if im wrong, but you get the point eh.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
500fasenuf, Yes I've driven a sled before. I've driven a Puma 340?? and a Polaris 500XC. The sled will be staying at my g/f's house which has a state trail leading from her back yard throughout the mountains. There are over 200 miles of trails to go on along with the biggest Lake in New Hampshire. Most trails are well groomed but some are full of powder and can be very steep.. I was able to get the XC up to about 85mph on the lake.. and was happy with it.. but want more and I don't want to be modding it. I saw the 600 today and I don't really like the size of the 600 that much. But then again, there was a 800 two-up next to it and it looked like it was more comfortable then a mercedes.. it was sooo beautiful. The 600 seems too small, comfort wise.. like we'll be squished together.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
I have a 600, and it is very comefortable, I have the suspension set very loose, but is I tighten it up a bit, it wouldn't be to bad for 2 people, and it is plenty fast, it goes well over 100 MPH, and it is very good in the snow.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts