Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a HJC cirus that I have worn for 10-15 years. Time for a new one because I can't find a new heated shield for it. A coworker just bought a new HJC with a heated shield at the dealer for $160. Another coworker ditched his heated shield and is running this http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SKI-DOO-BOMBARDIER-Modular-SNOWMOBILE-HELMET-Heated-XL-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem51974e5367QQitemZ350430843751QQptZApparelQ5fMerchandise

That auction has both shields so it looks like they make a heated shield for that helmet (just in case). My coworker told me he never has needed the heated shield because the breath thing on that helmet is sooo nice.

Opinions? Oh.. I am buying locally within the next few days.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I have a HJC, no idea on the model, I have no breath guard in it, and have the heated visor plug, never fogs.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
My next helmet is going to be a modular. That Ski-Doo helmet is a nice one. That's the one I would get. I don't think I'd like the heated shield wire dangling between my helmet and sled.

·
Registered
449 Posts
I wear a Modular by BRP. Works great, even better with the heated shield for riding behind a group.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Just bought a Gmax 54S with the heated sheild...(modular)...

Wore it a few times

now and am really liking it!

Even has a hidden sun sheild visor that slides in and out....

20101218184217515_26476.jpg

·
Registered
632 Posts
I agree on the wire dangling, however my brother in law runs his down his coat sleeve, works for him. I use a MX style, doesnt fog, and keeps me warm. I use a decent balaclava under it when its real cold.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Have you considered an MX style?

If not, the Ski-Doo BVS2 helmet seems to be one of the best helmets available right now.

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I am going to try on one of these doo helmets tomorrow. 'Lazer' makes it. I am sick of fogging and that electric shield cord isn't very fun to contend with.

Yes I have considered an MX helmet and decided against it.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
sledcrusher said:
Have you considered an MX style?

If not, the Ski-Doo BVS2 helmet seems to be one of the best helmets available right now.
Buddy and dad both have them and they are very fragile and lose screws alot.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Matt, what were your reasons for deciding agaisnt a mx style helmet. Myself, prox-x2c, erick, pman etc all wear them and like them. I like the improved vision, lack of fogging, and ability to change out goggle for different light conditions. I still have my closed full face helmet but have not worn it it 4yrs.

The only down side i notice from wearing a mx helmet is the increase wind noise. Its just my opinion but we have met so... You can trust it.lol i would not steer you in the wrong direction.

Ps your only a flight away from riding in canada......

·
Premium Member
15,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
^ And a visa ha. I decided against MX because I don't ride MX and I know a few people who said their face got cold and if they got snow in their face it collected around the googles. Full face seem much warmer and less hassle. I want
1. Fog Free
2. Warm
3. Easy

I think that doo helmet has multiple built in shields that flip down also (from the reviews)

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
JONESIE said:
Matt, what were your reasons for deciding agaisnt a mx style helmet. Myself, prox-x2c, erick, pman etc all wear them and like them. I like the improved vision, lack of fogging, and ability to change out goggle for different light conditions. I still have my closed full face helmet but have not worn it it 4yrs.

The only down side i notice from wearing a mx helmet is the increase wind noise. Its just my opinion but we have met so... You can trust it.lol i would not steer you in the wrong direction.

Ps your only a flight away from riding in canada......
I also agree about the added wind noise. MX helmets are usually lighter than full faced helmets as well, and at the end of the day you know the difference. I feel like full faced helmets are just to big.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
Matt i get your point. I dont ride mx or like a " monster" wanabe. But its my personal preference. I have both and just like my mx better. I have not been cold and have ridden in -37 c with the windchill making it a crisp -62 c out. Now thats cold. Proper balclava and good googles are key. Just have to make sure there on right.

I have heard many people say the skidoo helmets are good but are prone to icing the breath passages on the helmet. Causing icing on the inside. Also have people note that if the breath box is not seated right or you have a beard it does not work properly.

Just things to look out for. Not sure if its a problem on newer helmets.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Too be honest I've had no problems being cold with a mx helmet. I've worn a thin clava with a facemask over that down to 0 degrees. No complaints, but if it gets really cold I carry a turtle for to wear under the facemask. I have had next to no issues with fogging with the mx style helmet. The only issue I have had is the lenses icing between the dual pane lenses(which I'm pretty sure is a faulty lens). I do notice more wind noise especially at 60+ mph, that also might have to do with my windshield directing wind right into my face lol. Overall I would never go back, but to each their own and it's what's most comfortable to you that matters.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
I been wearing a HJC CL-15 for the past 3 years with no fogging issues. The helmet has just the standard double pane winter shield and breath box.

If I where to buy a new full face helmet tomorrow I would consider the HJC IS-16. It's pretty much the same as a normal full face helmet but has a drop down sun shield on the inside. I just think that would be a nice feature to have some days.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have worn a CL-15 Session since it's debut. I thought I loved it until I rode a sled without much wind protection...all of a sudden I started to notice the difference a windshield makes. I then wore my riding partners' GenI Modular and LOVED it. I bought a GenII Modular at the Milwaukee Snow Show this past October for $210.00. While comparing the GenI and GenII side by side, it looks like a lot of the GenI problems have been either addressed or solved with the GenII. His GenI did ice up every once in a while, however, it wasn't that big of a deal, it just took a little more effort to undo the snap for the breath box. Both myself and my riding partner have beards, and don't notice any "leaking" of air around the breath box. Definitely a warmer helmet by far.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Matt, you realize you're supposed to replace your helmet every 5 years or so, right? Wouldn't want your nickname becoming "head splitter" now, would we? [thumb]

Skidoo modular helmet is the bees knees, from what I've heard.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
HJC IS-Max....nice modular helmet with a great solar shade at the flick of a button. I should have gone up one size but its good. I had to add a chin curtain to it as it didn't come with one. I also have the heated shield and never thought of running the cord down your sleeve...good call.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I always promote the GMAX line since I bought one last year. Modular, electric, and sun shield. Fit is good, prices are better than most. Bought an HJC before it and returned it. Shield quit and personally I didn't think it was worth $100 more than the GMAX with less features. Quality was the same.

I'm not sure I've ever had a problem with the cord on any of my electric helmets. I'm not too sure what people mean when they think the cord is a hassle. Run it through your jacket if needed. I never do.

I wish I could get a BVS to use for a day. Bet I can get it to fog. I think that a lot of folks that use the shields don't breath too hard while riding. My wife can use her cheapo helmet and it never fogs. Granted about 55 is her top speed and not really working up a sweat.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts