Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking to get a good ski for my iqr 600, consisting of trail riding,and some ditch-banging i want an aggressive ski that grabs and turns really well, im not to worried about money, what do you guys suggest?

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
http://www.jspowersports.com/polaris_iq_440-600HO_trail_conversion.htm

they have info on skis and carbides

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
I had c&a razors on my iqr and for trail riding they made it extremely uncomfortable. They were way to aggressive in my opinion. I'd either use IQR or 09' or newer IQ's if I were you. Any ski with a good carbide is good for the ditch but it's the trails(corners) were it's gonna matter most.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sledneck1978 said:
I had c&a razors on my iqr and for trail riding they made it extremely uncomfortable. They were way to aggressive in my opinion. I'd either use IQR or 09' or newer IQ's if I were you. Any ski with a good carbide is good for the ditch but it's the trails(corners) were it's gonna matter most.
ok let me ask you a ? why did you think they were uncomfortable? and how many studs did you have? im looking to run no studs and a 2" paddle track

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
144 studs. IMO the C&A's would be great on a track were they can follow ruts. On the trail were you are the one doing the turning they dig way too much.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sledneck1978 said:
144 studs. IMO the C&A's would be great on a track were they can follow ruts. On the trail were you are the one doing the turning they dig way too much.
i guess im just trying to get away from pushing, w/ no studs i can rear steer the sled to help it but im looking for a ski thats going to not pus throu a slanted icy turn, (which i get here)

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
Then I'd be more worried about carbide....try duellys. I've not personally used them but everyone I've talked with that has em' says they'll never switch back.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sledneck1978 said:
Then I'd be more worried about carbide....try duellys. I've not personally used them but everyone I've talked with that has em' says they'll never switch back.

my brotherinlaw law has a 08 dragon an uses duelly's with a stock Polaris ski and still get pushing,

·
Registered
567 Posts
how long of a track is his dragon?

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
At some point you may need to let off the gas a little LOL

And if you think your friends 08' pushes you're gonna hate your IQR. An 08' dragon turns 100 times easier. Two different breeds. I see what your trying to do. You're just gonna have to wait for snow and mess around with your new sled to try to get it dialed the way you want...or roll the dice and listen to one of us who have owned these machines. Everyone's preference is different though.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sledneck1978 said:
At some point you may need to let off the gas a little LOL

And if you think your friends 08' pushes you're gonna hate your IQR. An 08' dragon turns 100 times easier. Two different breeds. I see what your trying to do. You're just gonna have to wait for snow and mess around with your new sled to try to get it dialed the way you want...or roll the dice and listen to one of us who have owned these machines. Everyone's preference is different though.
yea i understand, an yea im expecting a workout, thats why i was trying to get what people have been using, i think he would be 100% better if he got different ski's for his sled, we ran with a guy this winter who had an AMAZING set of ski's on his pro-x and he could turn circles around us with no problem, but with no studs helps get away from an uncontrolled push, least i can rear steer the sled through a corner thats why i was thinking a ski with tons of grab and bite would be a good way to help with this.

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
c and a's will be less of a workout without picks cause ya,you can whip the ass end around. Mine stuck with 144. Just to let you know, I'm looking for another rr'...thats how much I liked it. If I could find one in the crate yet I wouldn't buy another rush. We'll see I guess.

·
Registered
454 Posts
For his push issue, would he be able to do some adjusting on the rear skid? As in ski pressure? dont know much about newer stuff, made a world of diffrance on my RXL

·
Registered
5,011 Posts
BrianLee said:
For his push issue, would he be able to do some adjusting on the rear skid? As in ski pressure? dont know much about newer stuff, made a world of diffrance on my RXL
Absolutely. I had the consumer model that came with walker evans clickers....I don't know what year his is and what shocks it has but ya, for sure that would help.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
sledneck1978 said:
BrianLee said:
Absolutely. I had the consumer model that came with walker evans clickers....I don't know what year his is and what shocks it has but ya, for sure that would help.
2008 iqr with the walker evans race set up is what i have for shocks, so all adjustable an able to create pressure and take pressure off

·
Registered
454 Posts
The reason i said that,the gentleman that had my rxl first had the front shock spring setting all the way to the bottom, the front end was so sucked down and so much pressure on the skis it wore your ass out and pushed terrible. Now going half way up on the threaded body of the fox shock, made a world of differance and gave me some much need clearance back of front. Not to mention that the steering effort was cut in half or so it seemed. Have a killer day, Brian Lee

·
Registered
873 Posts
I run C&A Sports on my IQR with a 8" carbide I bought off ebay. I think I paid like 30 bucks for the set of carbides 'n with 3 seasons on them they still have plenty of life left in them. Mine still steers hard, especially if you are on hardpack at low speeds, it is damn near impossible to get it to turn.

Chad

·
Registered
454 Posts
Oh i meant to say bj, that im a big bastard also. I come in around 280ish and im 6'1". So i know wanting comfort and steering in a sled. If your IQ is a racing sled, you may be stuck to an extent with close to zero trail manners.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts