Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pondering this today.

I know there's more than a couple fellows from Winnipeg and other South Central Manitoba areas/towns. Just wanted to throw out there, if you don't have plans for this upcoming Saturday (January 20th) come on out to Altona, our local snowmobile club is having it's annual poker derby and we'd love to see as many guys show up as possible.

As some may know I groom all these trails (hehe, they're not done yet... I sure hope the weather co-operates this week), therefore I refuse to work a poker derby stop.

So, if the weather co-operates (I will know by Wednesday or Thursday for sure) I should have all the trails done and I figured I'd throw out the suggestion that some of you Manitobans from the general area might wanna come out and ride the derby with me and my brother (bigwilly from the forum here) and possibly Erick.

The derby run is going from Altona to our warm-up shack in the Marais creek to Letellier, Morris, Rosenfeld and back to Altona. If I'm not mistaken it's approximately a 60 - 65 mile derby run plus whatever you'd get to get here.

If you're from Winnipeg you can head down the Red River all the way to Morris then either stay on the river to Letellier (I have no clue on the condition of the river, St. Jean ran their poker derby on the Red this past weekend so I'm guessing it's all right) or take the trail from Morris to Letellier. I made that trail on Friday and it's in really nice shape.

Anyway, this is getting long. If anyone's interested or wants more info reply to this topic or PM me. I wouldn't mind going for a ride with some of the guys from the forum here and it would help support our club.

Hope to hear back from some of you!

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
If i was still in the area I would be there...Not going to drive 20 hours one way to go ride 70 miles and then get drunk though...

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Originally posted by ACG
[br]If i was still in the area I would be there...Not going to drive 20 hours one way to go ride 70 miles and then get drunk though...
Psh, wuss.

hahaha

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
(fu):\

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
i was looking for somwhere to ride next weekend, ill probally be there as long as my friend is up for it and even if he isnt i might.

does your club have a web site?

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, the club unfortunately doesn't have a site.

If you have any questions though feel free to ask me, I'm on the executive so I like to think I have a good idea of what's going on.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Yeah, I'll be there. I have nothing better to do. I don't think the border requires passports yet, so it shouldn't be a problem getting across. It sounds like Tim (sledwrecker) is going to come with.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sweet, that's awesome.

Tim's coming? Kick ass, too bad the BR's busted... [;)]

·
Registered
409 Posts
You bet I'll be there (if they don't have their way with me at the border) got to get all the riding in i can!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
i will see what i can do. might be able to swing a few ppl. just have to make sure i can sneek out of work. what time does the derby start and if we just trailered to altona where is the starting point.im sure just look for all the sleds, since there is not much to altona.

let me know.

cheers

·
Registered
124 Posts
thanks for the invite. i will have to mention it to some of my friends, as for myself i HAVE TO go to mexico on saturday for a week. otherwise i would be there. its a rough life- snowmobile or mexico? decisions decisions....[:)] -Adam

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad to see some interest.

Mexico or sledding.. Sledding of course [;)]

If some people want to trailer out and ride with Erick, Tim, my brother and myself I'm sure ya'll can unload your sleds at our shop. There's lots of room in the yard for parking. If you're interested in that PM me, I can give you my cell # or directions or whatever.

Official registration for the derby is at the Millennium Center in Altona (curling club, it's licensed so at the windup in the evening you can get liquor) but you can register at any stop along the way. I do believe we'll be starting at the shack, since that's stop 1 anyway.

Registration starts at 9 AM I do believe and they want everyone to be wrapped up around 5.

Just so the folks from Winnipeg know it takes about 50 minutes to get here from St. Norbert on hwy 75.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
im hoping to sled out, if i have to drive i probally wont come.

i would rather put gas into my sled then into my truck. Taking the river might be how i get out there if my riding buddy is up for the ride[:)]

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Couple of friends of mine rode the river from st. agathe to town here on Saturday, said it was pretty good, gotta watch for ex-slush which is now harsh ice.

I haven't ridden in over a week. Too cold for this guy.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I went to the StJean durby last weekend and the river is safe, There is open water at Letellier and north of Morris, but it's all marked out. There are a few slushy spots, but no problem getting over them. If I can get away from work I'll be at Altona with my Viper. It seems I have the only Yamaha in the area except for an Attak that was at the StJean durby. Be nice to see some more Yamaha's out there. Oh well, looking forward to it.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Polaris Man, do you know if they pushed back the need for a passport until Jan 31?

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
well looks like im out. got to work. if the start date was around 11- noon then i could make it but.........[:(]there not going to delay it for me. DAM WORK! starting to think i wont even put 300 mile on this year.

cheers
and rack up a few miles for me.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I called for info on the Pembina border and you dont need to get a passport until the end of 2007. So im up for this weekend!!!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 103 Posts