Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings to All - I recently purchased a 1996 Indy 600 and have no prior snowmobiling experience. From the get go, the machine had incredible power and I was quite surprised. Long story short, on my second ride I eventually noticed a lack of power and high fuel comsumption. Turns out that one of the plugs was fouled. We replaced it with a new one and once again it was very powerful and the difference was like night and day. Unfortunately, I probably rode 40 miles before I realized that I was running on only two cylinders. Is it likely that I caused any permanent damage to the engine??? Any other engine components I should check after my idiotic blunder? Thank you very much!

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Usually, when you damage an engine, it shows up right away. Other than wasting a lot of gas, I think your pocketbook is safe this time. ;)

Welcome to the forum! Send some snow south, please...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I was positive I didn't help it any but was nervous that I may have caused some damage. Some of the spark plug internet sites claim that running with a foulded plug can "lead" to engine damage. Not sure exactly what that means.......
Thanks Again!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Probably meaning if you never changed your plugs but somehow the sled is still running, your gonna pay for it. There "only" 2.50-3 bucks a peace. Or a box of 10 for just under 20 bucks. Better that than the resulting problems.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Over time, if you had a plug that was not firing, the unburned gas would act as a solvent and wash the oil off of the cylinders, possibly eroding the cylinder walls and/or the rings. Unburned gas entering the pipe and can could also accumulate and cause a backfire from time to time, possibly damaging components.

I can't think of any other damage that may be caused by too much fuel.... anyone else??

1 - 6 of 6 Posts