Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can a stator be fried by continually forgetting to ground your spark plugs when pulling the recoil with the plugs out when the motor is flooded?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Highly doubtfull. had a old yamaha that flooded every time you tried to start it. Never had any problem.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've done it thousands of times with sleds, outboards & tons of other various small engines, never had a problem.

·
Registered
837 Posts
the only machine you need to be careful on is like a pwc motor because its is battery opperated electronics the power is in the coils even at low motor speeds and that will ill the computor of stator if the plugs are not gounded, but on a snowmobile its different, there isn't the same power to kill the electronics. and on jetskis the manuafactures even put gounding posts on the motor so there isn't damage to the electrics

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'll be darned.... I didn't know that about jetskis... I have a friend that's blown 2 computers out of his '97 Polaris 700 PWCs & he can't figure out why it's doing that. Good tip, MG, Thanks

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
yeah...I've done that plenty myself w/o trouble. I agree with mattgross, sleds should'nt be affected, Sea-Doo's are. Out of curiousity, what type of sled are you refering to?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's a 99 500 mxz. I changed the plugs, boots, coil, and C.D.I. The spark has always been very weak, now it doesn't have enough to fire it when cold, it still will run okay when warmed up. Next I will try a new stator and see what happens. Do you think the trigger pickup could be bad as I could change it now while its all apart?

·
Registered
837 Posts
have you ever thought it was a fuel problem, may your chokes aren't opoening enough, you can sheck the stator to see if its good, and usually coils don't go bad or the computer, also have you did a compression test, maybe you motor is worn out, a simple gauge will cost a lot less then a stator, and don't warm the motor do a test when it could you should still get at least 130psi

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Motor is newly rebuilt 142 and 140 psi. Carbs gone over many times, no chokes,primer. Always a weak spark, you have to have your jacket or cover over the motor to even see it. Now there is almost nothing on one and interment weak on the other with all sorts of new plugs.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Yeah, that's a definite spark problem.. you can see the spark on mine in broad daylight.
I know on the older machines you could unplug the ignition (I mean the plug in your dash for your key) and it would bypass it. Try unplugging that & see if you get good spark. I'm not sure if that'll work on a '99, but it's worth a shot, it works on a '97 Polaris. If that doesn't do it, unplug your kill switch.
If it's still not getting spark, you must have a problem inside with the mag... I have no experience tinkering with those.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
hey wait a minute...MattGross, in a 99 SD so they have the DPM(???) thingie that Sea-Doo's have had since like 97?? I don't think so since it has no DESS, but not 100% sure.

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
...duh...pushed send to early...if it does have that box maybe the caps did need to be shorted out to prevent electrical damage. What do ya think, MG?

·
Registered
837 Posts
i don't know what you are asking, seadoo has had ground post for a long time like before 93, there isn't dpm on a seadoo, they do have a mpem and those came out in 98 with the dess, but im not srure what you are asking, could you rephraze it?

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
MPEM...thank you...that's what I meant. Do you think there is one on a 99 Ski-Doo? Isn't that why it's so important on Sea-Doo's to ground out the plug wire, so they don't trash them MPEM? I'm probably wrong, it's just the 1st thing that popped into my head when he said "'99 Ski-Doo".

·
Registered
837 Posts
that is why you need to groung on a seadoos, evewn on the older machines without dess they have a mpem, its a lot small but i tyhink all machine have a moem of sorts. he said he changed the cdi and that its the mpem, they are the same thing

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
oh...don't know much about Sea-Doo's...first season. I thought the MPEM was altogether different. Thanx...

·
Registered
53 Posts
You may want to look at the spark pickup coil located just under a plastic cap on the topside of the motor next to the mag side cylinder, I had a piece of rubber come off of the damper ring on the rewind and it bumped the pickup coil up to where it wouldn't get any spark at all. Just lift the plastic cover and visuall look at the magnetic piece, you should be able to get a matchbook thickness paper between the flywheel and the pickup but no more there abouts. This piece can be replace without taking anything apart besides the rewind to get at the flywheel.

Food for Thought, "this happend to me"

Jigs

·
Registered
128 Posts
when you leave a plug wire off with out grounding it you stand a chance of frying your cdi unit. the spark gets too high because it has nowhere to go and goes back to the cdi where it can do damage. the usual result is a weak spark and hard starting. the folks that have done this without damage were just lucky. it is kind of the same as turning on a stereo with the speakers not hooked up you can fry the output transisters from voltge buildup but there again it doesnt happen everytime just sometimes.[;)]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts