Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got to start riding my sled, and I tend to do a lot of drift busting. I have noticed that the front of my engine compartment, GenII chassis, where the pipe makes its 180* bend, fills with snow. Since it is a L/C motor and not a fanner, could I just completely block of the vents? They already have the screens. I have check the underbody, no holes or cracks anywhere that would allow snow into that part of the motor.

If I can, does someone make a kit, or have on they want to sell for a GenII chassis?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
The only problem i see is under the hood will heat up fast making the air a lot less dense so your power will be down and it will be impossible to jet correctly, if you have EFI it wouldn't be as bad but i wouldn't recommend it.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
The clutches is what I'm worried about. Those get real hot really fast. Hot cluchs preform inconsistantly, which is never good. I would leave them open.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't figure out why mine does this, none of our other GenII do it, neither does our edge, or any other sled we own or have owned. I am just missing one screen on the right side (sitting on the sled) right above the exhaust, could this one vent let all this snow in, or is it sifting through the screens to.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Yeah, smaller screens is what i would do, you can get really fine ones that won't let much of anything but air through.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was wondering if screen off of a screen door would work. We have a couple in our shop and one is torn and of not much use.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
Aluminum will probably rust over time, the small fiberglass will probably run the risk of getting hot.

I used the pet screen(heavy duty screen to keep pets from ripping regular stuff) on a friends sled, worked great and didnt melt.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
srx_600 said:
Aluminum will probably rust over time, the small fiberglass will probably run the risk of getting hot.

I used the pet screen(heavy duty screen to keep pets from ripping regular stuff) on a friends sled, worked great and didnt melt.
Aluminum rust??? Anyways......it should work[thumb]

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've always wondered about this too after riding in the storm we had this past weekend. Snow kept coming in where my pipe is but I guess after reading what dragon said I wouldnt want my clutches to get too hot! Thanks!

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
ArcticCatZR800 said:
srx_600 said:

Not thinking, regardless we have tried it and it did rust in about a half season.

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
My dads edge x has closable vents. I would think if the factory does it should it really be that bad? You still have the open hole right above the pipe open and the two next to the windshields still open.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Why not throw some frogskin covers inside?

·
Registered
584 Posts
srx_600 said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
srx_600 said:

Not thinking, regardless we have tried it and it did rust in about a half season.
aluminum does not rust [LOL]

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
While, I'll cut a couple chunks and see what happens.

·
Registered
453 Posts
X2 for Frogskinz, or just solar screen from Lowe's or whatever...

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
The hole on the right side near the exhaust is open on Gen II sleds as are the two on top. I suppose a screen of some sort may work. Let us know what you come up with...and no screw holes in the hood.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I just can't figure out why mine does it. Like I said, our other two GenII sleds with the same screen setup don't have any trouble.

Maybe shoudl go ride them a little more and see, maybe the snow is different right now and is small enough to sift through.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
fox440 said:
srx_600 said:
ArcticCatZR800 said:
srx_600 said:

aluminum does not rust [LOL]
Oh really?? What is aluminum? Metal right? ALL bare metals rust over time. Not trying to be a dick here but it will rust. Ever seen a head with white flaky stuff on it? That is rust.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts