Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I went to mount my bars, and turns out my bars are 1 1/8 not 7/8 like my riser.

Can I bring this to a specialty fabrication shop and just have it bored to 1 1/8"?
2010125203842890_27886.jpg
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
192 Posts
Don't see why not, just put two washers between the pieces so it can still clamp on to the bar
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kylepotaoes said:
Don't see why not, just put two washers between the pieces so it can still clamp on to the bar
I was thinking just asking the guy to knurl it as well when he does it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
97 Posts
I got the same ones as you, although I didn't have to bore I had the 7/8 bar. I'd say that you could do it easly yourself because they're made of Aluminum & if you do oil it up when boring, but they will be rather thin on clamp end! You should be OK so Go 4 it & let us know how it turns out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SconsinSnowridder27 said:
I got the same ones as you, although I didn't have to bore I had the 7/8 bar. I'd say that you could do it easly yourself because they're made of Aluminum & if you do oil it up when boring, but they will be rather thin on clamp end! You should be OK so Go 4 it & let us know how it turns out!
Thats what I was worried about as well, but then again, it's only going to be 1/8" gone on each side. Whats the worst thats going to happen, handle bars are going to come off completely when I'm riding? [beatup]. I'll call them in the morning and see what they're going to charge. My dad sold his mill so we have to have someone do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
sledcrusher said:
SconsinSnowridder27 said:
I got the same ones as you, although I didn't have to bore I had the 7/8 bar. I'd say that you could do it easly yourself because they're made of Aluminum & if you do oil it up when boring, but they will be rather thin on clamp end! You should be OK so Go 4 it & let us know how it turns out!
Thats what I was worried about as well, but then again, it's only going to be 1/8" gone on each side. Whats the worst thats going to happen, handle bars are going to come off completely when I'm riding? [beatup]. I'll call them in the morning and see what they're going to charge. My dad sold his mill so we have to have someone do it.
should have traded the mill for some roof work...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
634 Posts
I have a set of 7/8 Risers I brought to a machine shop to get bored out to 1 1/8th. Unfortunately my risers were about 1/16 to narrow between the screws to be cut to the desired 1 1/8. My risers were not Rox though. I would recommend to take accurate measurement between the screws and see if you will have enough material to bore it out!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Called a place I bring most of my things that need welding done and he doesnt do machining. Now I await the local sled shop to open ( How many sled shops do you know are open 5pm to 10pm? ) because he bores cylinders and has a drill press.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,830 Posts
Do you have a shop at school? It'd be cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ClassicCat76 said:
Do you have a shop at school? It'd be cheaper.
I dont have any time during the day. I go to a vocational school for automotive half the day and its 20 miles from my school.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top