Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wanting to take apart the rear suspension on my 00 MXZ 700 and have the aluminum rails powdercoated yellow. I saw a pic of a Blue Summit with the rear in blue and it looked awesome. But It didn't say if it was paint or powdercoating. I'm a powdercoat believer but never had any aluminum pieces done. Does anybody know if you can powdercoat aluminum? And lastly...Since I got a million other projects going on.....I'm looking for a good reason not to do it! So gimme you $.02!

·
Registered
777 Posts
had my trailing arms,,,and aluminum radius rods and tie rods sleeves powder coated yellow,they will still chip,but nothing like something painted.my buddy paints his rear suspension every year,chips real bad

·
Registered
777 Posts
its a powder paint thats sprayed on then put in a oven and backed and the powder melts on

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Do you get that professionally done? Or is it a do it yourselfer?

GO HARD, OR GO HOME - IF YOU COME TO A FORK IN THE ROAD...TAKE IT

·
Registered
837 Posts
yes that is correct, they hook a electrode to the piece, then it is like static cling and the pawder just sticks to the part, then you bake it in a oven

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
Wouldn't it add weight?

Personally I can live with silver rails.

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
Yeah Pman... it adds alot.. Probably around .34523 lbs

·
Registered
2,273 Posts
don't they come silver?

·
Registered
4,617 Posts
Thanks, I just never heard of that before so I was wonderingwhat it was.

I figured this was how to find out. One quote I live by is "the only stupid question is the one you don't ask."

Trees don't make the greatest brakes.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts

I wasn't worried, I dunno how much that stuff weighs, I was curious.

Ride the Best!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Powdercoating works fine on aluminum but you should lightely bead blast first. The powder adheres better. I use powder on the old sleds with steel rails but for the new sleds I prefer anodizing, either clear or in colors.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts