Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is why i ask this question: I have a 98 Polaris XCR, that I sometimes ride, and a 98 ZR 500 that I always ride. The polaris has variable exhaust, the Zr does not. My gf's mom can hook me up with oil at a VERY LOW price. Last year I got 12 quarts of non APV oil for 30 bucks. So I am sure that the APV oil will not be much more, plus its synthetic either way.

The oil that the company makes is meant for both Arctic Cat and Polaris, and there are like 10 of us that use it and have not had any problems.

So can I run the APV oil in a non APV sled? It would just be easier than having to buy 2 types of oil, and the minimum ammount I can buy is 12 quarts.

·
Registered
275 Posts
yes you can run the APV oil in a none APV sled you just can't run none APV oil in an APV sled at least thats what my local cat dealer told me

·
Registered
335 Posts
Actually you reaLLY SHOULDNT. It burns much thinner and doesnt protect a non apv motor enough.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I wouldnt even hesitate,the oil is lubing the exact same pistons and rings as well as the bearings,whether it be apv or non,the only real difference is what the oil leaves behind on the exaust valves,and the apv will leave the least,run your oil tank down to a safe level and dump the apv right in on top and dont look back , and you can run non apv in a apv motor too,cat never even had a true synthetic oil when it first brought out the apv motors,it was a blend,you can run what ever you want for oil in what ever machine you want if you dont mind cleaning the valves alot more often

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
sweet. I bought a 12 quarts of non APV oil, 30 bucks, and I'm just gonna buy 1 gallon of APV oil for now off the gfs mom, their family has a ton in the garage so I can just get a gallon for now for the PO.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Ya you can run it. The APV is really good oil. I personally see runing the APV in a sled that doesnt require it a waste, but if thats what you have use it up.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Originally posted by SABERCAT500
[br]Actually you reaLLY SHOULDNT. It burns much thinner and doesnt protect a non apv motor enough.
not true.
oil lubricates the engine the same on apv and non apv. only difference is non apv oils will gunk up the valves quicker.
only thing that really matters are the certifications of the oil.

·
Registered
335 Posts
See now im ticked off at my know it all friend. I asked him that last year and he was like no never ever run apv in a non apv sled. I figured i would listen to him because his dad works for cat and he always works with his dad. So i guess i'll have to talk to him!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I run AC APV in my ZR600 all the time, its fine.

·
Super Moderator
11,678 Posts
I wouldn't hesitate if it came down to it. In my mind, APV oil should be better oil anyway, as not to mess up the Power Valves. My buddy left a gallon of APV in my garage...if I run out of oil, I'll probably use it. [;)]

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
hey quinlan, what have you had to do to keep your rear suspension like new? Maybe I ride pretty hard, but its sagging now and im working to fix it, new springs are on order, but I'm jw if you have had the typical sagging problem and egged out slide rails?

·
Super Moderator
11,678 Posts
I just had both skid shocks rebuilt, and that perked mine right back up. I also have the spring set kinda tight, and the rear tension blocks set on the tightest setting.

I came to find that I do have a couple egged out spots in the rails, but nothing too major. I'll probably be replacing the rails in the next couple years...depending upon how bad they get...

I should also add that my sled has less than 3000 miles on it, so it hasn't really been abused too bad. If yours has quite a few miles, the springs could easily be bad...

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
mines got 2700 hard miles on it. I had a ZR 600 like yours before, same suspension, same problem with the sagging and lack of recovery- that sled had like 5000 hard miles on it though.

I know they make extended spring retainers- the ones that hold the long part of the shock up(looks like down but actually holds it up) and the extended ones hold the spring up about 2 inches higher. I should have the springs by thurs at the latest, so we'll see how that goes, the crappy part is that I just had the entire skid out over the summer to fix things up, so for now im just going to drop the rear and take the easy way out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts