Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a bad center crank seal or oring. Im wondering if i can use gasket sealer to try and repair the seal or orings instead of splitting the crank. I odnt see splitting the crnak worth as the sled is a 79 ski doo and i got it for 50$

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
i dont know the answer to ur question, but if u have the time and split the crank it would just be a good experience working on ur sled, so if u get a newer one u have some experience already...

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
yes you can split it yourself. it might take a little while to do so but you can split it and its not that difficult to do so

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This summer I split the crank cases, thats no problem. It's really simple on such an old sled. But I'm not sure how to split the actual crank so I can replace the o-rings inbetween the two rods.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've never done that before either, but I'm pretty sure that would take an experience machinist. I believe it takes a hydraulic press.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thats what I thought also. But these guys are telling me its easy. Do I need a special tool or something?

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Its easy to split the case (what houses the crank), but I think you need some special tools to actually split the crank itself. I'd bring the crank into a shop and have them do it if I were you. JMO.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Jeeze, I'm not sure what to tell you on that one. Best bet would be to simply call a shop, explain what you want done, and aske them for a quote. Tell them that you'd be bringing in just the crank and case, so they know that they know they wouldn't have to take it out of the sled them selves. Saves on labor charges.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts