Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are the thoughts?
The only thing wrong with the sled is what you see- the rear tunnel is severly bent. The rider went up a steep jump, abandoned ship, and the sled came directly down on the rear end. The intercoolers seem ok. The tunnel bent at the weak spot, where two folds of metal meet that make up the tunnel.
Some duct tape and rubber cement? I tried hammering the piss outa it, that didnt go anywhere.[beatup]

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
What about the bent up rails? I'd say the tunnel isn't "the only thing wrong with it."
Hell no that can't be fixed, especially with just a hammer. You would need to start with a frame puller (for like a car), but even that can only get you so far

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats what the guy said i got it from.
He also thought about cutting off the rear of the tunnel, and riveting a different rear end on.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
There's most likely hidden underlying damage and bends/dents that you can't see. I don't think you could get away with just riveting on half a tunnel. You'd have to look at everything that connects to the tunnel, you may have issues with the bulkhead even, and the footrests.
Other areas of concern I see is the rear mounting shaft of the skid. How did it come out of the tunnel? did it rip the mounts off the tunnel, or did the bolts break inside the shaft? After it got crashed, how did he get it home? Did he ride it as is? If so, look for damage on the inside of the track, with the rails not where they are suppose to be, I wouldn't doubt if the rubbed on the track. I also wouldn't doubt if the rear shock shaft is bent.
Heat Exchangers under the tunnel- obviuosly they're bent, did they break or crack open?

Replacing a tunnel takes a lot of labor, consider this when you decide what to do with the sled. I hope you got it for dirt cheap, the only thing that grabs my attention about the sled is the 700 motor (if it runs) and the hood (if it's not cracked). Front suspension is a one-off, so it's pretty useless to me

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
loooks fine put the seat an tank back on and rider er! shell deff get some looks now, and be aerodynamically screwdddd [LOL]

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I dropped the rear suspension myself, it was in fine when i got it. THe motor has alot of money in it, with reeds and boring, etc.
The heat exchangers are bent, i dont see any cracks. It doesnt leak, and when i start the sled, it runs fine, and no antifreeze comes jetting out.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
[lurker] i just dont know how well you could trust a tunnel like that, alot of stress was put through the whole chassi from that, it maybe better pulling the motor and other parts then find a roller chassi to put them in, theres a iq 440 chassi on ebay right now i belive $350 takes er, just my op, you mind telling how much you paid for the sled? i just may have not seen it

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polaris-IQ-600rr-Mod-IQ-R-600r-chassis-tunnel-440-racer-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e24ab22eQQitemZ360278831662QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_515wt_935

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
The tunnel could be replaced if you want to go that route, as for the heat exchangers they will probably need new ones also unless you can bend them back into shape without cracking them, if you do go the route of putting another tunnel on it make sure you get the "proper" rivets as your run of the mill ordinary rivets are not strong enough, they need to be of the solid type that require a special rivet tool that peens the end of the rivet like a mushroom, I have seen people that have done tunnel replacements before and cheesed using standard pop rivets and over time the stress ends up loosening the connection between the bulkhead and tunnel and failure is not long to follow, if the price was right and there is room to spend the money on fixing it I would do it, now if your thinking repair and resell with the idea of making good money off it that is another story, it all depends on what you paid for the wreck, the choice is yours.

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only have about 150 into it, and its worth much more in parts. I guess i can get a rolling chassis as sugested. Probably is smartest route, thats for sure.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
tdgbigfoot said:
I only have about 150 into it, and its worth much more in parts. I guess i can get a rolling chassis as sugested. Probably is smartest route, thats for sure.
yes then you know everything else is structurally intact, theres no guessing, youd hate to be going 60+ and fold the chassis at the bulkhead or anything along those lines. that would not make for a fun situation for yourself and others riding on the trails, let alone loved ones at home..

·
Registered
558 Posts
How did that happen? Did the previous owner land in something like a track stand? either way the front half looks pretty sweet, go with the rolling chassis.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
POLARISDOMINATOR said:
How did that happen? Did the previous owner land in something like a track stand? either way the front half looks pretty sweet, go with the rolling chassis.
Actually, I believe the previous owner ran it into a wall head-on...
[insert sarcasm here]
Tunnels get tweaked (or in this case, absolutely trashed) when the rider thinks he has the abilities of a sno-cross racer. This racer-dimentia takes over the brain and makes the rider believe he can do big jumps, but really, he can't. And then he lands too vertical, tweaking the tunnel

·
Registered
454 Posts
Or he tries and do some radical ditch riding and screwed with the wrong snow drift hahahahahhha

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Polaris_Parts_MN said:
POLARISDOMINATOR said:
Actually, I believe the previous owner ran it into a wall head-on...
[insert sarcasm here]
Tunnels get tweaked (or in this case, absolutely trashed) when the rider thinks he has the abilities of a sno-cross racer. This racer-dimentia takes over the brain and makes the rider believe he can do big jumps, but really, he can't. And then he lands too vertical, tweaking the tunnel
Is accidently launching off a river bank another form of this dmiensia?[beatup]

·
Registered
863 Posts
asking if that can be fixed is like asking another member on here [;)]( may know who) to be normal.. [confused] [:D]

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
on a different subject what kind of seat is on that 700 in the backround?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
^Good eye! It's gotta be a Yamaha 4-stroke seat, like off the Vector.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts