Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 99 xc and when I went to remove the chain case cover it wouldn't
clear the belly pan. My xc has the trailing arms set in on the pan.
But the pan is riveted on if I was supposed to remove the pan they would not
rivet it would they???????

·
Registered
855 Posts
do you have reverse?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I Have Reverse and I disconnected all the linkage but the belly pan juts in at the A arm and butts almost up to the cover on the chain case

·
Registered
855 Posts
Yeah its very tight in there you have to play with it....its a MAJOR PITA just takes time and something I don’t have patience.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I think you can pry the pan a little and get the bottom rev. gear out and then pry the pan back. Than move the cover every witch way. But make sure when reinstalled it you get it right because it will break alot of stuff if not.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
is the cover loose? just wont slide out? Make sure you get the reverse idler gear shaft bolt out of the cover if it is still tight to the chaincase.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
Have a friend who just bought a '99 XC 500. He ran into the same problem with the reverse cover. He had to drill out a couple of rivets in the belly pan to get enough room to pull cover off.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
My 98 700 gave me the same prob cause I also have reverse. It was impossible to do outside in the cold. But after I got her into the garage where it was warm I was able to flex the belly pan out far enough to get the cover off. I set a heat lamp about a foot away for a few min and that helped a lot. Maybe try using a hair dryer or some other mild heat source. Just be careful not to get it too hot and stretch the pan out.

Good Luck

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
clearance isnt why it hangs up... its not the belly pan thats the problem... its the mechanisum that pulls the reverse gear in that gets caught on the gear... everyone always thinks that its hanging up on the belly pan but thats not true.. if you get it off the gear then mover the cover all the way to the front of the sled and up then angle the top back as much as you can it will come right off... if this doesnt work.. get it back into stock postion then try again its not that hard once you know how to do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
lower l;eft bolt on cover

clearance isnt why it hangs up... its not the belly pan thats the problem... its the mechanisum that pulls the reverse gear in that gets caught on the gear... everyone always thinks that its hanging up on the belly pan but thats not true.. if you get it off the gear then mover the cover all the way to the front of the sled and up then angle the top back as much as you can it will come right off... if this doesnt work.. get it back into stock postion then try again its not that hard once you know how to do it.
PLEASE TELL ME HOW YOU GOT ACCESS TO LOWER LEFT CHAIN CASE COVER BOLT? Nightmare. thanks.

·
Registered
2,718 Posts
Welcome. It may help if you let us know what you are wrenching on. They are in tight quarters....1/4" ratchet and shallow socket?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts