Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 95 XCR 600 has me baffled. When I first fire the sled up, all the lights dim. It only lasts for a half a minute, and then everything is fine. It only does it when the sled is cold. After a ride, I can park it for a few hours then go back out and its fine. It’s only doing it on the first ride of the day and only for 30 seconds or so. The lights never dim while I am on the trails.
First thought maybe I was grounding out somewhere but then it would be dimming all the time. I did put a brighter bulb on the sled. I think it came stock with a 55/65 and I put an 80/100 in. Maybe that’s the problem.
Any suggestions? [8D]

·
Registered
275 Posts
What is the idle speed set at? My sled is dim at idle, but once the RPM's get up a little either by giving it a little gas or when I'm driving everything is normal.

·
Super Moderator
11,279 Posts
My sled did that to, so I played with all the wires and one day it stoped doing it..Im not sure if that had anything to do with it or not..

·
Registered
20 Posts
Most lights will be dim at low revs(<2000)...if the lights stay dim on higher revs you might have a bad regulator.

You definately have a bad regulator if your lights go out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It idles at 2100 right now. From what you guys are saying, I don't think it is anything serious (I hope[;)]). I will go back and check my connections again... I'm just not sure why it only does it on the first ride of the day. It doesn't make a lot of sense really. My visor hook-up is coming of the regulator. Is that okay or should I relocate it? There is not many circuits to choose from.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sounds like corroded connection with green, or black gunk that absorbs moisture when sitting cool. Clean ALL your connections until they're bright and shiny, then use dialectric grease to seal them. Should cure your problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem resolved...
Dirty ground terminal on the voltage regulator.
Rookie mistake, should of known better...Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks like I spoke to soon!

Was a nice cold night tonight, so thought I'd fire up the old girl.

After starting it up I noticed the head lights dimming again [:(] so I started checking my connections and I noticed the voltage regulator is also illuminated and it was dimming as well. Exactly the same time as the headlights.

Could the problem be before the regulator or is it the regulator itself? Any suggestions??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts