Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend and I were planning on taking off my pipe on my machine, taking some cutting rods, and open it up, and take some baffles out/or drill through some, and then weld it back together. Is that safe?

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
What kind of a machine is this? A snowmobile i'm assuming. I would not recommend it. Is it the louder sound your after??

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I would PM Rocket on this matter, he works in the exhaust field. I'd give him the details and see what he had to say..... But I'm leaning towards what Megaman said.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by MegaMan
[br]What kind of a machine is this? A snowmobile i'm assuming. I would not recommend it. Is it the louder sound your after??
Yeah, i'm looking to get a louder sound without paying much.

Thanks Alaskangold, I will.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
why do you want it louder?

So that you can annoy others?

or just because it sounds "cool"?

relieved exaust usually sounds like crap #1, and #2 the snowmobile community is already highly scrutinized because of how noisey our machines are.....

·
Registered
528 Posts
Originally posted by MacGyver
[br]A friend and I were planning on taking off my pipe on my machine, taking some cutting rods, and open it up, and take some baffles out/or drill through some, and then weld it back together. Is that safe?
Where do you ride in Canada? If it's too loud/annoying you will probably end up getting charged.

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
A guy here spent a pile of money on a pipe and clutching because a XC 700 SP could beat his ZR 800.

His sled now goes like a rocket, but it's LOUD. He loves the performance, but hates the noise. He says he's probably gonna find a silencer for this coming winter because of the noise.

·
Registered
22 Posts
if your just looking for the noise buy a stinger (DG pipes),
If your looking for power, got with SLP pipes or play arround with the clutching and gearing, usually when you make a sled sound loud your losing about 3 hp

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Originally posted by ripperd2
[br]why do you want it louder?

So that you can annoy others?

or just because it sounds "cool"?

relieved exaust usually sounds like crap #1, and #2 the snowmobile community is already highly scrutinized because of how noisey our machines are.....
It's not just that I want it louder, I want more of a crackle to come from it. I want a better sound, but it's not realistic for me right now to be buying a pipe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Canuck
[br]
Originally posted by MacGyver
[br]A friend and I were planning on taking off my pipe on my machine, taking some cutting rods, and open it up, and take some baffles out/or drill through some, and then weld it back together. Is that safe?
Where do you ride in Canada? If it's too loud/annoying you will probably end up getting charged.
Also... The machine is only a 440 fan, so it's more or less that I want more crackle out of it without spending much money. I live in Northern Ontario, by the way.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
what kinda sled?

·
Administrator
13,092 Posts
If you mess up the inside of your pipe, it can screw up your engine. A tuned pipe is considered "tuned" for a reason. If you de-tune it, you can royally screw things up.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Polaris-Man
[br]If you mess up the inside of your pipe, it can screw up your engine. A tuned pipe is considered "tuned" for a reason. If you de-tune it, you can royally screw things up.
In other words, unless you want to dish out the cash, you won't be able to give it a better sound without sacrificing performance?

·
Registered
777 Posts
polaris man ,
i thought the same thing a while back,because he did say PIPE,
since no one has corrected him,i had a 85 skidoo F 521,with a gutted CANISTER,that was a nice loud,if your on a limited budget,myself i think it would work to gut the CAN,don,t touch the PIPE,theres no baffles

·
Registered
37 Posts
If I can remember back some, I believe that Ontario, Canada just passed some sort of noise ordinance for snowmobiles. If this is the case, you better start saving your pennies for fines. From what I understand they are after any modified exhaust system that isn't factory, even an aftermarket canister.

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
ya, i didntt hink of that right away, pipes on 2 stroke engines are made a certain way, and i believe the engineers that designed them know what they are doing better than the rest of us, dont mess with it, aftermarket silencers are only bout 200-300 bucks and are alot better than a blown engine cuz of a pipe u screwed up

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
LOL...yup

·
Registered
528 Posts
Originally posted by Mr. Hankey
[br]If I can remember back some, I believe that Ontario, Canada just passed some sort of noise ordinance for snowmobiles. If this is the case, you better start saving your pennies for fines. From what I understand they are after any modified exhaust system that isn't factory, even an aftermarket canister.
Right you are! It is against the law to modify/change your exhaust. In most cases it is not enforced, but if your making a lot of noise in a residential area.....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts