Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if you could make a suspension bigger. I want to put a bigger suspension in my sled ( well, longer suspension. 139" i think ) from a 89' MX formula 470, and, is there a way to make the suspension a lot taller so I can do jumps and drops with it?

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I want to be able to jump with it to.. So, could I just reinforce the suspension more to make it be as strong or stronger than my MXZ's?

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
rebuild the shocks?? i dunno just throwing junk out

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
There probably is not much you can do to an '89 MX suspension. And considering they didn't really have a front suspension, you are pretty much stuck with what you got.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
you can just buy a rail extension kit for your MXZ suspension, the MX470 suspension is terrible. or your could get a MXZ skid, like yours off a summit or maybe a touring sled so it is longer and then swap your shocks if better and the springs will be stiffer on the summit or touring sled skid.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by bundox4life
[br]you can just buy a rail extension kit for your MXZ suspension, the MX470 suspension is terrible. or your could get a MXZ skid, like yours off a summit or maybe a touring sled so it is longer and then swap your shocks if better and the springs will be stiffer on the summit or touring sled skid.
How much are rail extensions? I still have the original shocks in the sled, so those are gonna go if I don't get a NEW sled soon

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
if you are thinking of getting a new sled soon dont put on an extension cuz then you will have to gear down to compensate for having to turn that extra track. i would just change the normal things and make it look clean and sell it and buy something newer and from your post you seem to be an agressive ride so get something more aggressive.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
1: that sled chassie is not ment for jumping
2: you can waste $1000+ making that sled jumpable, but in the end you still have the same friggin' sled. Take that $1000, sell yours and buy an ex-race sled or a newer sled that is stronger and built stronger to take the abuse of jumping

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by Waterboy
[br]1: that sled chassie is not ment for jumping
2: you can waste $1000+ making that sled jumpable, but in the end you still have the same friggin' sled. Take that $1000, sell yours and buy an ex-race sled or a newer sled that is stronger and built stronger to take the abuse of jumping
Well, I don't mean to intreupt or anything, but this sled is built for sno-x. When this sled came out, it's only purpose was for sno-x. It has different heads on it, and pretty much just trail converted. It even has a ripped tunnel from a ski going through it in a race, so a tunnel extension would make up for it.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
im sry but since when is a 99 MXZ 500 a race sled?? seeing as its a race sled im geussing that tunnels reinforced you radious rods and trailing arms are bigger then stock you have pretty much top of the line shocks all the way around.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
Originally posted by extremesummerfilms
[br]
Originally posted by Waterboy
[br]1: that sled chassie is not ment for jumping
Well, I don't mean to intreupt or anything, but this sled is built for sno-x. When this sled came out, it's only purpose was for sno-x. It has different heads on it, and pretty much just trail converted. It even has a ripped tunnel from a ski going through it in a race, so a tunnel extension would make up for it.
What sled are we talking about now? Waterboy was talking about the '89 MX. There wasn't even such a thing as Sno-X in '89.

·
Registered
546 Posts
If i got this straight ... correct me if I'm wrong but you want to put a skid from an '89 MX Chassis into your '99 MXZ "race sled" so that you can jump better??

There must be something that I am missing because that just sounds STUPID!

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here, I'll clear things up.

1. Read the December 2005 edition of snowgoer ( i think that's what it was, mabye it was AMsnow ), and it has pictures and info of the early 99' 500 race sled on a corner in first place.

2. I wanted a longtrack sled so I wouldn't get stuck on hills ( not giant mountains ) and I would want bigger shocks on it because I like freestyle snowmobiling and doing jumps. The shocks on those old sleds break to easy.

3. No, sno-x wasn't around back in 89'

4. Yes, I have race shocks all the way around, but my motor is trail converted.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
What the hell sled are we talking about? An '89 MX or a '99 MXZ???

Originally posted by extremesummerfilms
[br]I would want bigger shocks on it because I like freestyle snowmobiling and doing jumps. The shocks on those old sleds break to easy.
This doesn't even make sense. First, you cannot just put bigger shocks on a snowmobile without major modifications to parts of the suspension. Second, shocks for older sleds do not break easier than shocks for new sleds.

·
Registered
6,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I was talking about putting the 89' mx suspension in a 99' mxz 500

1 - 20 of 32 Posts