Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im just wondering if you can put reed valves on an old sled motor and if it would be an advantage/disadvantage it would be a 83 indy 600 triple without reeds

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
I am no expert...but I'd say no, your pots are moulded to accept the reed cages, if you could just change the pots you may as well just put in a whole new engine...all you'd be keeping is the bottom end with the crank, and thats if you could find pots to fit it.
I wonder if there is anything that you can do to your stock intake to increase air flow.
If you have roundslides you could add those UFO's to your carbs.

·
Registered
506 Posts
no man, that engine won't take reeds, the bottom end is formed as a piston port. you CAN however, port the intake.

that's a job best left to a professional, but it's possible on piston port machines to do a porting job on the intake, as well as exhaust and transfer ports. same principal changeing y our valve timing to make the intake stroke longer in a 4-stroke.

if you want performance, that port job and some pipes is yer best bet.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well i should have mentioned 83 indy 600 big bore kit ported polished triple decker pipes im just bored and with no snow was thinking of something different

1 - 4 of 4 Posts