Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a coolant leak some place and can't seem to figure out where it is coming from... 2001 Polaris 600xcsp. It only leaks when it is running... if I can run without the pipe on it will be a lot easier to see where it is coming from but I don't know if that is bad for the engine or not?

·
Registered
690 Posts
you can do it but you could blow it up because you will not have enough back pressure so i wouldn't do it unless you are only going to run it for a short time

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
Just run it long enough to see where fluid is coming from, and don't throttle it up. I've run a couple engines without an exaust, just don't pin throttle you should be fine.

·
Registered
639 Posts
Might wanna wear ear plugs when i did it in our shop it was just crazy loud my ears rang 4 a long time

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments...

·
Registered
460 Posts
Is there any way you can borrow a automotive pressure tester from anyone? the coolant caps are pretty much the same as the ones they have on alot of Honda and Toyota's, that would be the best way, then you don't have to deal with a hot motor to fix it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
How does they work?(automotive pressure tester) Maybe I could rig something up... or if anyone knows someone around the Duluth area that I could use theirs let me know...

·
Registered
404 Posts
Originally posted by krappana
[br]How does they work?(automotive pressure tester) Maybe I could rig something up... or if anyone knows someone around the Duluth area that I could use theirs let me know...
It is just a little hand pump that you can use to put pressure into the cap to see when it opens up. You might be able to use it to pressurize the cooling system on the sled as well so that the leaks will appear without the engine running too. I think some come with a special adaptor to do this. . .

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm not positive but it pretty much drains the entire reservoir if run long enough which leads me to believe it has to be leaking elsewhere... what do you think?

·
Registered
3,888 Posts
Originally posted by krappana
[br]I'm not positive but it pretty much drains the entire reservoir if run long enough which leads me to believe it has to be leaking elsewhere... what do you think?
Does it lose coolant within the system (same level when you take off the cap) or just the resevoir. My sled has never kept water in the resevoir, but at the same time it stays at the same level within the system. I haven't had to add to my system for 3 years, resevoir has fluid for maybe a day or two of riding.

Just something to watch, should help you narrow down the problem.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do I check level in the system versus in the reservoir? Reservoir I take off the big cap or look through the trasparent sides... how do I check the system?

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The resevoir on my 2001 EDGE X 600 will overflow easily. It won't keep the coolant at the suggested level. It will push it out if I fill it past between the 2 lines on the coolant bottle. And also if I remember right when my sled gets warm the resevoir level goes noticeably down from what it is when it is cold. You have the same set-up as far as cooling as I do so I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
You can run a 2 stroke at idle for a long time with no pipe but without backpressure it will eventually lean out and smoke a piston

·
Registered
489 Posts
when my bros sled lost all its anti-freeze the exhaust burnt a hole threw the rubber hose you could check your hoses if not id get a pressure tester

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
What you could do is clean up the engine bay a little, and then run the sled for a couple minutes with the pipe ON. Then shut it off and look for puddles and traces of green antifreeze in places it doesn't belomg.
OR.... you might just have a pinhole leak in one of your hoses. Check them over really good before starting up the sled.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
Instead of taking the pipe off, try running it but hold a mirrior under the pipe and see if you can spot it that way.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts