Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and the kid and the wife went out today for a little spin, ran about 80 miles to be exact....about the last 25 miles I had to ride her sled. It's a 97 Polaris with the old faithful 488 Fan engine in it.

Engine seems to be running great, however it really lost the low end 0-35...when she hits 35 she takes off to the same top end that it always had.

When I got home, I lifted it and looked at the track, checked the suspension, looked at the belt, the belt is sort of old, could it just be a slipping belt problem. I plan to test the compression of the engine tomorrow, I tested it last week and it was 120 on each side.

This is nothing I have ever had happen before....any suggestions would be great. Thanks for the replys.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Could also be something stuck in the low speed jets. when you go 0-35 are you rolling into the throttle or stabbing it wide open?

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
could be something in the clutching...ie stuck weight something along those lines

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried both....when you slow throttle it, and let it roll through it. it seems to work better.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The clutches are the first place I look when I hear this kind of stuff from friends/family. You don't mention how many miles on the machine, but if you have neglected maintanence on these items, look to see if they are functioning smoothly. I really look close at the driven clutch, if your belt is worn and sitting low in the driven clutch sheaves, lots of low end power is lost.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts