Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it boggs at low end sometimes, has no pickup and smokes alot. whats the compression supposed to be. when i did gaskets cuz one blew out it had 120 after. is that ok? got new plugs clean carbs.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
try a different oil pump. sounds like yours is going out. thats why i switched to premix... one less thing to go wrong

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i did get another one. never changed anything. i was really hoping that was it. i wanna switch to premix but then what do u do when you do more then like 100 miles. i usually do over 100 miles easy and fill up like 4 times cuz at points there isnt gas for a while

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
i removed the oil bottle and can fit a gallon of oil and a ratio rite cup behind my airbox. them when you fill up with gas you dump in the right amount of oil and have fun.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
36:1 or 40:1 i run right inbetween them. get the oli injection block off kit. its worth the $30

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i took some stuff apart. my reeds look ok, my carbs are clean. but i think i found the culprit, last year i was gettin ready to triple pipe it. i put all the jets in, and never ended up doing it. so i brought it back to stock. looks like i forgot to change the needles. i think this will make it better

·
Registered
378 Posts
If that doesn't help take a look at the seals on the crank shaft. Spray carb cleaner on the shaft behind the primary clutch to see if it bad. That will tell you if they are bad. The other thing that I had a issue with was the jet needles they do ware out. I was getting about 6-7 mpg and then replaced them and now I am getting about 12-13 mpg. Look at these to see if you are having issues. When you are smoking a lot that means that you are running rich on oil if it is a blue color and if it is white it is coolant. let us know what happens.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i dont think my crank seals are bad, ill try that. i tihnk i got it figured out now. i should just have to fine tune it. i started at 1 turn out on the air mixture. i have no low end. its either bogging out or in power band. would the air mixture skrew fix this?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
does the 96 have the carbs vented to the airbox? if so are they hooked up properly? i never knew this made such a big deal til i found out the hard way. i spent 2 days trying to dial the carbs in and had them off and on so much i figured id run without the vent lines.
without them youll run very rich!

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ya they are. and they are hooked up. and your talkin bout the vents that go go from the over flows into 1 into the airbox on all three right?

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
when you say synced do you mean the slides all start at the same point? how would you do that without one of those vacuume tool things?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
yes they all need to be opening closing and starting from the same position. also air adjustments the same or close for a starting point.
vacuum guages are kinda worthless to me.
im sure someoen else can explain it better, but slid a 3-16 or 1-4 inch drill bit under the slide of the carb. adjust the slide till you have just a slight bit of resistance on the drill bit.
then make sure theyre all opening at the same time, put a finger on 2 slides and starting pressing throttle. they should both open the same time if not adjust accordingly. then repeat with the next carb, till all 3 open the same time. sorry im not great at explaining things im a better doo-er. hopefully someoen else can give a better explanation or do a search here. i know theres been some good descriptions of this.
good luck

1 - 15 of 15 Posts