Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm working on riveting the brackets in place on my 93 storm for my x-tra ten swap. The rivets are 1/4 inch diameter stainless steel .06 to .25 grip range. The rivet gun is a Marson big daddy. Just the steel bracket alone is .075 so these rivets should set no problem. The holes in the plate are dead nuts. The rivet barely goes in them and I tried it on a loose hole so it doesn't appear to be the hole size. I cant get them to set tightly. Every time they break off about 1/8 from being tight. I got one to set properly by spraying it with WD-40 after that I couldnt get it to work again. Now I'm frustrated and decided to call it quits before shit starts flying across the garage.

·
Registered
654 Posts
when you pull on the gun pull half way release pull half way again repete ill it gets hard to pull than break this way worked for me

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Is it possible to get a big "C"-clamp on there to give you a tight fit while you slip the rivet in? Works pretty good when circumstances allow.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
You requested a stupid answer?

*Keep trying and trying until you end up throwing s*** across the garage..
haha..J/K!

TrickPaint has the idea!

·
Registered
97 Posts
had this same issue with riviting my skid plate! Make sure that you are not pulling the gun at a slight angle it will snap off at the wrong point and not seal tight the way u wanted, its important to line the gun up or it's going to be loose.
I did that technique 900modman used & the rivets did improve.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Use 1/4-20 bolts to assemble it, then pull out each bolt and replace it with a rivet.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I cant get the rivets to take though....I tried going slow, I tried to heat them, lube them, 1/2 handle stroke you name it. I think I am going to get some 1/4-20 ss button heads with ss nylock nuts. The pieces being tight isn't the issue because they wont even take in 1 sheet of metal. Half the time I can barely get a pump or two in and they break. I think they may have given me the wrong rivets, but if I compare specs on my rivets to the ones online they are the same. Not to mention I cant get to the front rivets in the front mount anyhow. I don't have a right angle rivet gun that will take 1/4 rivets. Im open to any more suggestions though. Thanks for the input!

[Sleds][smilie_shoot]

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
Pneumatic air powered rivet gun???? harbor freight sells one that works pretty good for being a generic brand power tool.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Stainless rivets are hard to set tight. Even with special washers made just for stainless rivets, 2 out of 5 with an air rivet gun would break off loose. My suggestion would be to use regular steel rivets. coat them with silicoln before installation and it will cut down the electrolises between the two differant metals by a substantial margin. it will last longer then the sled itself. besides, mild steel rivets last a lot longer then stainless steel anyway. SS tends to pop the heads off under stress.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts