Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a hell of a time trying to get the nose cone off my wedge, the p/o used phillips headed bolts to hold it on, and they got rusty, and I cannot get the nuts off. I tryed drilling one, but wrecked two drill bits and stopped there. Anyone have any good tricks? Oh yeah the whole reason I have to get the nose cone off, is to take out a radiator that the previous owner installed up there.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
If I remember correctly, you have access to the nuts. Just cut them off with a dremel or angle grinder.

D

·
Registered
632 Posts
lots and lots of WD-40 or JB-80.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
trailjunkie said:
lots and lots of WD-40 or JB-80.
x2[thumb] if that doesn't work you may have to resort to a dremel.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I kept braking cut off wheels in the dremel, I may have to borrow an air cut off wheel, I soaked the shyt out them with pb blaster last night, and they still would not budge. I have good access with the motor and pipes out.

·
Registered
632 Posts
or maybe a nut splitter if there is room?

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Use a #3 phillips.. #2 will strip under any torque.
True that, i've found that many things use a Japanese Philips head which is slightly different than the american one, might want to look into that too.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The Dremel is a delicate tool to use with those cutting wheels. I've broken many of them back in the day. But no means are they fast but let the Dremel and it's high rpm's do the work. I've cutting suspension bolts out with them. Takes time and light pressure. I did see at Ace Hardware, they came out with reinforced cuttting wheels. Maybe give that a try.

WD and Blaster will only get you so far. The rust has eseentailly bonded the metals together. Cut 'em and be done.
D

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
polarisorbust said:
Ugly_old_Poo_kid said:
Use a #3 phillips.. #2 will strip under any torque.
X2, or just leave the radiator up there[thumb]
they cut the hood hinge to clear the hose, so I have to take it out to replace the bent hinge. The cone is also spaced out from the chassis so it does not line up with the hood very well. I was using a #3 snap on screwdriver and they stripped to give you an idea of how stuch they are.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts