Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my friend just got this old ass indy 400, i think its a 1987. Well the guy he bought it off of friged up the rear end and one of the bolts is stuck in the suspension for good. We pulled out the other 3 and found that now we cant get things to line up again. Any ideas as to get this back together so we can ride it?

Thanks, Ryan

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Did you loosen up the track all the way? If you can get the opposite bolt back in. tighten it down good and you should be able to break loose the stuck bolt. There's lock-tight on the threads and you need to work each bolt out carefully.

·
Registered
187 Posts
tightening the other side is about your best bet. once that side is good and tight, use an air impact to get the other side out. if it is absolutely locked in there and you cant get it out for anything, just break it off. that way you can pull the suspension, take the shaft out of the suspension, and either use an easy out to get the bolt out, drill and tap, or just get a new shaft and replace the bolts. probably the easiest thing would be to replace the shaft. not to expensive and would ease a lot of your pains! if you need more info or tricks to get it back in, please ask. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
482 Posts
ok, listen up.

If you are raising the rear of the sled, use a ratchet strap for this as well, that way you can fine tune your height. For skid installation you want the rear of the sled lower than when you pulled it out.

You absolutely need to use a ratchet strap to compress the rear arm, BUT, YOU CAN PULL IT FOREWARD OR BACK.... You want to simply pull it down, if you are only pulling to the front with the strap that may be your problem. You dont need it all the way down, just compressed a couple of inches.

Then use a floor jack under the middle of the skid to raise the skid so that it gets close, then use the ratchet strap (loosen or tighten) on the skid to get he holes lined up. Use the ratchet strap that is raising the sled to fine tune if needed.

Sometimes the skid doesnt go in straight when you jack it up, you CAN pull (yank it around) it around by hand to help allign the first hole.

You may want another person to work the floor jack while you work the strap and look at the holes. Sometimes it helps to put the skis on the roller dollies, so that it can move a little bit.

Ive done this on everything except yamaha, works every time.

Did you remove the springs? if you did, you could have put the mounts on slightly out of allignment, but even if you are close it should still come together.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For some reason or another, we can't get it out be hand, I've done this before, but this isnt at all like it was the last time, the bolt actually came out that time. This time it seems as though it was cross threaded and jammed in there

·
Registered
187 Posts
Like I said, you may be better off putting a breaker bar on it and twisting the head off. Take out the carriage and go from there. probably easiest to get a new shaft and new bolts. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
586 Posts
try the impact wrench first ... had a problem with mine and that took it right out ... just retapped the hole and was good to go! if that doesnt work try polarisdoc's idea ... either way u might wanna look at a new shaft and bolts so it doesnt happen again next year

·
Registered
176 Posts
I had similiar frustration with my 02 classic and M-10. The bolts were stripped in the back shaft. I ended up replacing the back shaft and bolts.

When I put it on, I had tried everything (collapsing with ratchet straps, lifting, dropping, cursing, etc.), and I tried tightening my track adjustment. The tightening worked, and I was able to thread them in by hand.

Good luck,

RainmanX

·
Registered
161 Posts
my bro had the same problem as brnr17 and the impact wrench worked

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Originally posted by Polaris_Doc
[br]Like I said, you may be better off putting a breaker bar on it and twisting the head off. Take out the carriage and go from there. probably easiest to get a new shaft and new bolts. -Polaris Doc
If all else fails I agree and snap it off. The shaft and bolts are not expensive. Then you can say it. I win![:D]

·
Registered
482 Posts
yup, zing them out with an impact. I had a problem installing a bolt, and i cross threaded it, but im cheap and i just tapped all the threads, and everything went back together fine. it helps if the suspension is held up so that the bolts can come out, and they arent holding it all toghether, putting a lot of stress on a small area

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think most of us have been there before. I always remove my skid with my sled on it's side...........makes is super easy to take out and re-install, especially by yourself. My edge had a back bolt doing the same problem. I layed the sled on the opposite side of the spinning bolt and put my floor jack under the bottom edge of the suspension rails. I very slowly jacked the rails to allow stress on the bolt to let it bind a little on edge of the tunnel (edge have the braces). Then I let her rip with the impact.....the bolt founds it's way out of shaft. I got lucky, but you might want to try it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts