Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
first off lets explain why i was doing this in the fisrt place. last snow of winter, the clutch started sounding bad, popped the hood and found out that the clutch plate was slapping on the belt then releasing then repeating, so basically all you would hear is thud thud thud..... ok, time for a rebuild.... 96 indy XLT 600 triple order a rebuild kit, pull the clutch... crap have to remove the spider.... bring the clutch assy to local shop and called the guy he said he couldnt remove the spider for the life of him.... now what???? if the spider wont come off does this mean that i need a new clutch assy??? if so how mcuh $$$ am i looking at for a good high perf trail clutch?? primary only

·
Registered
608 Posts
Did the shop have the proper tools to remove the spider? You need a tool to hold the clutch and a long tool to remove the nut. Without theese tools you might as well be farting on it. How bad and what was worn on your clutch? You only need to remove the spider when the rollers, tower pads, or the shaft bushing go. As far as clutches go, that is as good as they come IMO. A new one will run you at least $300. Check all the Polaris dealers, most have clutches laying around that are either new or near new. They pull them off when electric start is installed.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
we dont exactly know what was causing the cluthc to slap against the belt. so what we did was we ordered a clutch rebuild kit and got a diff spring for it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah i do believe that the shop had the right tools ot do the job. when he explained to me what he did to try and get it off, he said he heated and used the largest breaker bar that they had and it still wouldnt budge no matter what.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
ask him to use an air hammer on it. That's how they got mine off. but they also broke the spider when the hammer slipped :-(

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
already checked ebay, they typically dont have much for 96 xlt's as a rule anyways and this was no exception

·
Registered
957 Posts
I think the guy who was trying to get it off needs a bigger breaker bar..or a cheater bar! I've seen shops having to put a 5 foot piece of pipe on a breaker bar to get enough leverage. Another option is to use an impact gun with the special tools (the spider remover, jam-nut socket, and holding device are mandatory) along with hitting it with penatrating oil usually works on those stubborn clutches.

In my experience on an older clutch that hasn't been takken apart before, gettin them off the Crank in usually the hardest part!

Good luck!

·
Registered
133 Posts
You need to heat it. The spider bolt is supposed to be loc tited on so you need to heat the bolt to burn the loc tite off, also helps loosen the bolt. Without heat its not gonna come off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
he said he used heat..... i dunno i would call him out on it if i had the right tools and good long bar and a breaker bar, but i don't soooooo if we cant get the spider off then basically we need a new clutch?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
If you can't get it apart and it won't function, then I would replace it. With the proper tools I have a hard time believing they can't get it apart but then it won't be the first time a clutch was busted trying to get it apart.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so how good are the comet clutches??? i know they are a big brand, and i can get them cheaper than retail through a family member. whats the general concensus on them?

·
Registered
119 Posts
List of proper tools:
Hammer
Prybar
Another Hammer
Torches
Large coffee, double double
An 18 year-old hottie to egg you on
.....and I don't even drink.

G

·
0 Posts
Back in the old days. We replaced all the clutches on our Yamaha Phazers with comet clutches. At least 5 of them over the years. They worked great for that application. As far as your sled goes, I couldn't say for sure but we had good luck with them on ours.

D

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Comet clutches are very good, one of my friends has one on there 1050 ZRT (was once an 800), and it works really good.

·
Registered
133 Posts
the comet 108 is just as good as the p85, basically the same thing. I think the 108exp has heavy duty rollers and is probably even better than an older p85.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
so basically it will be woth the $$ i will be spending???? now with the clutch i end up getting from them how will it perform??? just like stock??? lil more trail manners? better race manners???

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Any clutch will only perform the way it is setup. If you set it up with stock springs/weights it will perform the same. Only if you deviate from stock settings will you notice a difference.

If i were you, and they guy who has been tryin to get the spider off for you is still going to charge you, I'd tell him to try again and not to worry about breaking it. If he breaks it, it sounds like you are already looking at replacements, so it wont be any kind of a loss.

TOU

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
Hey Strangeranger,
Have you tried the Spider dance to get it off? It's worth a try...[:D]
/snofan/../images/users/500fasEnuf/spidey.gif Go Spidey....go Spidey...go Spidey...

BTW - My dad has a 108exp on his cat, loves it, his has over-drive, brings rpm down when the engine isn't loading the clutch up, not sure how it does that, but you can hear it shift in.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts