Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i got my car which is an 86 monte carlo. I'm really picky when it comes to audio. I need a good system or i pull my hair out. Well i started by upgrading the deck. I put in a sony Xplod (which i already had from a previous car, which is why i put it in). The car already had some 4" pionieers in the front, so i figured id just leave that. The rear speeks were just blown to shit. I mean, i couldn't take it anymore. So i got a cardboard box and put some 6x9's that i already had in it. And i hooked everything up, man, it sounded good. Those 6x9's, which were 3way, could really crank. My only problem was i couldn't fit them in the rear dash board. Its way to small. Thats why i had them in the back seat. Well you got to have room to haul the women around, right? Yeah, so my dad got me some speakers that would fit in the back, turns out only one company that i could find made speakers that would fit in there ( which happen to be 4x10's). So he got them for me for my birthday. Well, they just don't put out the sound and bass that i NEED. I don't want something that pounds, i don't listen to the beats. But i really like clarity, and bass that will fill up the car and really rock it.

This is what i was thinking, since he (my dad) already bought those speakers, i would use them. But i thought, that maybe i would just put bass filters on all the speakers and get a nice sub and stick it in the trunk. Like i said, i don't need pounding, but i want something that puts out nice bass. That will make my system killer to listen to.
I guess my question is, what do you guys think of this idea? I don't know much about car audio and what i need, or what brand to buy. What brand, size, would you recomend? NOTE: im on a budget here, i want to keep the cost down to a minimum, and i don't need something that you can hear pounding all the way down the road. But i do like the idea of the bass filling up that car in clear, smooth form. I have a bose surround sound system. and man, the bass that comes outa those bass moduals is crazy. Its so smooth and clear.

What all do i need for this project?

Thanks so much for your help guys, im really dumb i guess when it comes to these things.

AKA, indy500 or XCR800_has_balls

·
Registered
4 Posts
There is a company that makes some sort of baffle that fits in the stock 4x10 hole and drops down in the trunk a couple of inches, widening up to the 6x9 size you are looking for. I don't know the company but this is the only thing that will work,, that you will be satisfied with. I had that same body style when I was younger and tried everything to make that thing sound better.
So find those baffles they work. And when you save up some money shitcan those front speakers buy some components to put in the kickpanels by your feet.. They make replacement kickpanels that hold speakers, this combination will make you a very happy man..

kainzamatic

·
Registered
9,619 Posts
get an amp for ur 4X10's and door speakers, power makes a huge difference. and a rockford sub is relativly cheap and is good quality, just get an amp for that and it will all sound good.....unless u wanna spend more money.....possibilities for car audio are endless......u always got something u want

When's Winter Coming Back?​

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You guys don't think putting a sub in is the way to go? I can afford to spend some. But not an all out system, top of the line stuff.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I added an amp and subwoofer to my stock Ford stereo in my Sport Trac; sounds really good, but I'm not sure of the brand. I left that up to my local audio guy who's taken good care of me in the past.

Jacqui.

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
If you want to add just a little bass to fill out the sound and don't want to buy seperate amps, crossovers, boxes and subs, them a bass tube is what you need, like a Bazooka, they were the 1st, but there are others.
Best of all, install is easy, so it can be moved to a different vehicle without devoting an enitre day trearing apart your car.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
500fasEnuf is on a good track right there. from the way it sounds you want a goodsounding car audio system that doesnt fill your trunk or can be heard down the block. for me i would use a single 10 inch sub in a 3 cubic ft box ported to around 40hz with about 300 to 400 watts going to it should fit your needs. but im sure erick will have something to say on this. your gonna need a little more power then normal to push the sound thru the back seat then normal. the rear seat in those cars really like to suck up the sound.let me rack my brain for awhile and ill get back to ya

i cant take a day without my polaris Let alone a lifetime.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I'd say like 500fasEnuf or bobby. Something along them lines. I would go for a 10inch or a 12 inch sub, in a ported box...maybe a little smaller than 3 cubes. The Rockford Fosgate PunchZ subs should do ya good, I don't think your looking for much more than that, it will leave you more money for a better amp. I'd say a good 300-500 watts would be great. Your other option is the bass tube. I even believe this would do what you want it to, but maybe offer a little less boom. Either way, it's your call.

Vote for Snowmobile Fanatics.com

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
When i was deciding on my car audio system, i didn't want to just add a sub. I think "Boom, Boom, how-far-away-can-you-hear-me-BOOM" is more annoying than impressive. (unless your in a db competition) I wanted good sound, not noise,= which unfortunately seems to be the most popular with audio upgrades.

I want to hear all the intricate sounds of a great CD with lots of volume, not just rattling speaker distortion as those cheap paper cones dissolve in agony. I need clarity, a good crisp sound, and the ability to hear ALL the sounds, not just the highs and lows. Now, i love the pounding of the subs as well as the screechy highs, but it's got to be well-balanced throughout. That's my idea of a good sound system.

I really hate riding in cars where people have the bass maxed out, but i can't hear a single word of the lyrics, or any other part of the music. To me, that sounds horrible. When i upgraded my audio system, i do everything; the deck, speakers, amps and all...so that you get a "balanced" great sounding system. I applaud those who do as well. I must also give alot of credit to some of the car manufacturer's for puting out better-than-ever sound straight from the factory. They've gotten ALOT better than they used to be.

I agree with Pol500aris on your upgrades, i bet it will sound good when finished.
I'm just stating my thoughts, so don't take it the wrong way....

Let it snow!

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
yeah the bass tube would be a good way to go but does SaS even make a tube with a woofer bigger then 6.5 inches?? if the do ive never seen one. but there are other manufacturs out there who make powered tubes and the only place ive ever seen a bazooka bass tube sound good was in a hatch back and a pick up truck its hard to get them sound waves thru rear seats mine fold down and are always down when i put them up i notice a good 3 or 4 decibal loss in the sound and i have no rear fill. my front stage more then makes up for it. but then again i also have 2 Digital design 9512s ported with a measly 1200 watts running to them

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Yes megaman im with you as well. i started out just want better sound then the lousy dodge factory stuff. i love it loud and crystal clear my system will never be done as im changing stuff all the time. right now im running of Rockford fosgate fanatic x midbass woofers (even tho they suck for midbass) and a pair of image dynamic loaded compression horns under the dash. got em cheap at a local place that sells ID stuff. ive had these horns before and nothing sounded good to me after these horns. im in the current stages of building kick panels for a pair of 5 1/4 or 6.5 midrange and upgrading my doors to 8 inch midbass. but i also have to ugrade to power locks and move the window track as i need more room. im also starting to compete this coming spring in car audio.i also plan on upgrading amps for my subs.i got a really good cd deck right now so no plans on upgrading that anytime soon. the electrical system is getting a total overhaul upgrading from 12volt to a 16 volt system and then the enigine mods start going again (gonna need MORE HP to move the heavier car) lol i got alot of stuff to do i better go get started LOL

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ok what you do is get the cleanest tech you can afford. A good set of compents up front. And put two 10" subs in the trunk get the signals going to the right places. Scrap the 4*10's and the 6*9's. I have a lot of experience when it comes to car audio. I went to one competion and had some cocky youngens so I told them I would only use my two 10's, and I still blew there doors off. I was pushing 500 watts rms to each 10. Any speaker will take more than it is rated for, but it needs to be clean power. My top db is 152.4 for that system, and I am currently up grading it. I like it musical and be able to play loud. 90% of the people out there can not do both. I do the SPL competions and sound quality and when I go from one to the other I do not change a thing and it blow peoples minds and really gets the judges when they see me go for SLP competions.

My upgrade system is going to be two sets of Focal compents and extra set of tweets behind the mirror powered by earthquake 4.5 trust, 2 sets of focal 10's powered by a earthquake 200D, and a pair of the RFL's with a modified earthquake 200d on each voice coil pushing 4500 rms per amp. 50 farrets of cap and 8 batteries.

The power wire is going to be -2 gauge which is about twice the size of garden hose, and I'm putting in 2 more 250 amp alts.
Here are some pics of my first system cause I am currently still working on my car for upgrades.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I would also agree with bobinwi that if you get an external atl. regulator and turn it up to 16 volt you get more power also. But make sure the amps can handle the voltage jump. Some will not take it a fry. As they say you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
I wouldn't go with the RFL's. They are a crappy driver in my opinion. Get a pair of DD 9515's or 9915's or look into some other brands like Shocker, RE or Treo. I would run about 8000 per sub for starters, all of these brands can easily handle this for a burp if your thinking SPL.

Anyways, this guy isn't looking for extreme SPL, just a little bass fill. The sugested setups should do him well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I understand that he isn't going to go all out, that is why I recommended a good set of 10's. They will handle bigger amps as he wants to add. And they will have a tight hard hitting bass.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm not looking for just a blurp as you put it. I do all my SPL's for the time limit that they have which has been for 30 seconds. Anyone can do a blurp but let me see how good your system is go for for the 30. Now that takes effort to do and takes planning to also!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ok, im looking on Crutchfields.com and i see a Bazooka 10 in basetube. Think that would be ok in my trunk? Or would it not make it through the back seat? Its not pushing very much watts, so i guess i don't think its enough. Im kind of leaning towards the amp/sub combo. I don't really know much about this and i don't wanna mess around with big systems, cuz i will probably waste my money when i don't hook it up right and it blows up.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
Sure, it takes effort but why waste your power after 1-3 seconds? You aren't going to get anywhere, not any louder - have a chance of blowing equipment. Save the power and equipment for a next run, with maybe a little tweaking. Sure, it proves a point, but that isn't going to make you the loudest. The 30 seconds is just a time limit set for people to make their run in. The loudest in the world only burp for 1-2 seconds, long enough for it to register on the mic, and their done.

Now a deathmatch is what really fys equipment. Play it as loud as you can, this usually leads fried stuff. I think it was last year or the year before at finals, some guy in a deathmatch with 9 RF Power HX2 12's locked up every single one of them. Sparks were actually flying from them. He also blew half his amps, thats a lot of money down the drain.

Anyways, I know where your getting at with the 30 seconds, it takes some courage to do that.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm willing to bet that he was not flowing enough juice to his amps, cause that is what happens when the amps do not have enough current going to them. Granted you get into the pro area and they are doing 25,000 ++ watts it is though to have that many alts, caps and batteries. You can only get so may alts under the hood. But anything under 15,000 watts if done right will not have a problem. But I am not the norm I really tax their knowledge and skills. I have not replaced one speaker, amp, or anything in my old system for the 4 years I competed with it. And to this day everything works as good as it did the day I got the stuff.

·
Registered
11,943 Posts
It is normal, it is just that a sub is not built to continuously handle 8,000 watts for more that a few seconds, these guys were running them for a longer time, like a minute or so. That is extrememly hard on a system. Once the subs blew, that shorted out the amps which blew those. These guys are pro's, they know how to set up the best, and just because you don't blow any equipment doesn't mean your good. And yes, you can have problems with things under 15,000 watts. If you are running 2-4 subs, you can have major problems if you are not carefull.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts