Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I went to a concert tonight and got stuck in traffic for about an hour. While i was stuck, my radiator fan started to become very loud when I accelerate. It isnt quite so loud once i get going or when i sit, but still louder than it used to be.

Ive tried researching the problem but i cant find anyone who has had the same situation. See, when i am sitting in traffic or being stuck for an hour, my oil (pressure?) gauge goes down from half, to one-quarter. But when I Accelerate the needle returns to the center like it should. Also my switches in the car for the radio, A/C etc. are incredibly hot.

I have no idea what to do! Could these problems be linked to the same thing? I'd like to avoid costly repairs if possable. My car is a 1999 GMC Jimmy.

Thanks a ton for the help!

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Oil pressure seems like it could be dropping because it's heating up so much. On my Durango its the same deal. My fan is f**king loud until I get moving. Almost sounds like I have multiple hair dryers under my hood. What kind of oil are you running? Synthetic or non-synthetic? Oil can play a huge role in operating temperature. If I run anything but 10-30w full synthetic in my car, I run a high chance of catastrophic engine failure.

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
sledcrusher said:
Oil pressure seems like it could be dropping because it's heating up so much. On my Durango its the same deal. My fan is f**king loud until I get moving. Almost sounds like I have multiple hair dryers under my hood. What kind of oil are you running? Synthetic or non-synthetic? Oil can play a huge role in operating temperature. If I run anything but 10-30w full synthetic in my car, I run a high chance of catastrophic engine failure.
Haha, you are soo funny. Oil does not make that much of a difference. Maybe a few degrees, but no more than that. Between synthetic and conventional.
Catastrophic failure, huh? Sounds like it's time to get rid of that piece of sh!t and get a real truck!!!![:D][:D]

For the oil pressure, when oil gets hot, it thins out, which would give you a lower reading. When you are sitting idling that long, your engine sees higher than normal internal temps.
For the hot switches, are they lighted? Are your lights brighter than normal? I'd take the truck to an AutoZone or O'reilly or somewhere and have your alternator output checked. It sounds like it's over-charging and that's creating the heat.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the help guys. The switches and oil pressure were fine today but the fan is still loud. I looked around some and it might just be the fan motor. I've gotta call firestone to get a quote.

·
Registered
2,020 Posts
Your radiator fan is clutch operated, probably wore out. Mine is very loud after first starting up, especially with air conditioner/defrosters on. 2000 Blazer by the way. Also check your major electrical system grounds.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
If your thermo-clutch fan is making noise, then the bearings inside it are going. I'd look into replacing it before it fails completely, seizes and shears and takes out your radiator and/or water pump.

How a thermo-clutch fan works, is by spinning freely while cool, so it creates no drag on the engine taking little or no horsepower. As the radiator starts dissipating heat it starts warming the clutch, and the clutch grabs a little, and the more it warms the more the clutch locks up to turn the fan and pull air through the radiator.

When it seizes up, the bearing either locks or the shaft shears. If it locks, it's usually cocked just a little bit sideways, the constant wobbling will take out the water pump bearing.. If it shears, the fan separates from the pulley, and will tear several holes in your radiator.

And do yourself a favor, don't pay attention to sledcrusher.. He's all mouth and no brain, and thinks his little bit of experience covers everything.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
^^^^
Like PooKid mentioned, check out the fan clutch and if there's any doubt replace it. It's no fun when a fan goes through the radiator.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
If you have it done at a dealer, several hundred..

Replacing it yourself, whatever the cost of one is at an auto recycler. Shouldn't be much.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well I looked at it tonight with my dads friend who knows a bit about cars. Apparently it's just my fan clutch.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
if the fan is making a squeeling noise the bearings are shot, i have a 97 silverado and mine is loud at startup til i accelerate heavy then it goes away. thats because the fan isnt as hot until the motor heats up. the oil pressure guage will be lower at idle cause your oil pump pumps less when you idle and when the rpm's go up so does the pressure. anything under 25-30 is bad. when i drive my truck that has a 350 in it at 60-70 mph im at 60 psi for oil at idle im at like 40. in my 2nd genaration camaro i have maybe 28 psi for oil pressure at idle and that has a 355ci in it. hope that helps

·
Registered
301 Posts
I didn't read all of the replys. But for the fan noise, I would check the fan blades to see if any of them are chipped/cracked. That could cause some extra noise from your fan.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts