Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do I do it or should I pay someone to do it? Engine is running really lean, plugs are white. Everything is stock. Could it be something else besides the carbs?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
first you have to ask yourself what changed. If all three plugs are white and nobody changed anything in the carbs then maybe the timing moved. give us more information and we can help.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is the big thing nothing changed. It was stored for the summer. New gas (3/4 of a tank) before the weekend. I ran it for the first time last weekend maybe 50 miles. There was a 4 second delay in throttle response at a stand still. Checked the plugs after that and they were white. So I Changed them and they were also white but the throttle response was better. No engine work was done on the sled. I hope this is enough info.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Fred, it is like that commercial where the wife is selling all the husbands stuff out of the garage. I already sold my trailer this week. Rumor has it you couldn't get the chevy up the hill sunday.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
You either have an air leak some where, your carbs are clogged (jet clogged) or your cooling system isn't opperating properly. I'd start with the carbs first as their the easiest and most inexpensive to diagnose.

Pull em', clean em' adjust em'. Pull ALL the jets, and clean everything real well. Check float levels and adjust if required. Make sure air screw is adjusted to spec. Put them back on and go for a ride, then check your plug color again.

If they're still white, check your oil pump to be sure its opperating properly and is adjusted to spec (might need to be bled).

Check carb boots and flanges for any cracks in them.

Make sure your coolant is circulating. Are both the heat exchangers on the tunnel or running boards the same temp? You might have an air bubble in the cooling system, in which case it would need to be bled.

Lots of possibilities here, you've got to narrow them down.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Most likely it's the carbs. If you don't stabalize the gas or drain the carbs, the gas turns to varnish. It dosen't take much to plug a carb up. Cleaning is simple take your carb off, drain them, turn them upside down, take the float bowl off, and clean away. There are two jets, a main which you will see right away and a pilot that is up in one of the tubes. A small flat heades screwdriver will get that out. Use carb cleaner and compressed air to clean everything out. Make sure all passages are clear. Hope this helps. If you would like a diagram this website shows exploded views. http://www.partsland.com./

1 - 7 of 7 Posts