Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to the grass drags last weekend and it got me thinking about sledding! so last year i bought a carb rebuild kit for my sled but you know what they say about good intentions, well anyway the sled was running ok, so dont fix it if it aint broke?, anyhow pulled off the carb and tore it down HOLLY COW! it was pretty mucked up in there, im suprised it ran so good, there was a heavy oily film the carb cleaner was having trouble cutting, almost like the oil was migrating back into the carb, but it all cleaned up, and new jets, im tossing that huge monstrosity of a stock air cleaner for a pod type, i gotta be saving 5 lbs of extra weight i dont need to be pulling around, im just waiting on the pod filter so i can do my fine tuning, would have never belived it was gonna be so mucked, because it ran pretty good. to anybody else out there thinking about cleaning carbs id say do it you may be suprised too!

if its not a CAT, then it must be a dog!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
I definately agree. Cleaning the carbs and adjusting the choke and throttle cables before the begining of each riding season, is probably one of the best and easiest safe gards you can do to your sled.

1997 XLT SP 600
"Engage the Mechanism"

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ok got my pod air cleaner on and started this thing up and did some fine tunning , wow , i cant belive the diffrance it revs way smoother and is way snappier, even cold with half choke it starts first pull, and its a pretty easy job, well worth the effort!

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
well vetboy, it sounds easy enough...but one word of advice.....JETTING...i'm not sure if you installed the same size jets or went to a little larger ones. Its possible that you wont need to change jetting, but I would be very careful on the first few runs, especially high speed runs. Now that the engine can inhale more air, you may need to install larger main jets to compensate so you dont have a Lean burn down. Just thought i'd warn you on this, hopefully it will save you some headaches.

Polaris is my way out - Other people just use a door.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Vetboy, when storing your sled for the Summer, do you use fuel stabilizer in the gas tank? Just wondering.

* Polaris * ......... The Way Out!

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im running things a bit on the "fat" side i always do, wether on my sled or on my dirt bike, it just makes these engines last longer, on my carb the jetting says go as lean as 270 on the main, but im sticking with 280 to be on the safe side, and also i do run fuel stabilizer, the aircraft type its a good idea also i try to run my sled at least 2 or 3 times a month just to keep things moving i have a flexi pipe i hook to the exaust of my sled and through it right out the garage door and fire it up right in place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts