Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know the size of the carbs on my 89 Indy 400 L/C? I found a 93 Indy 500 EFI to replace my blown engine. It will fit right in, but will my carbs form the 400 work or do i need to pay teh extra $200 and get the carbs and EFI unit from the guy?
Does anyonw know if there are other electrical things i will need to make this project fly?
THanks!

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I would avoid the EFI. You will have to use all of the electrics for the carbed model. Your carbs will work but I think they are a little smaller. 500 had 38mm and I think the 400 had 34mm You will have to check the stud mounting to make sure the boot will fit. You will have to recalibrate the jetting. Performance will be noticablely better but not huge. And your clutching will need to be matched to the 500. The exhaust wont be right either. I would look for another 400 if I were you. Or a complete carb to exhaust dfferent engine.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can get the carbs for the 500 i am getting for the extra $$$ but again they are the EFI. If i can get all the electrics will it all piece together?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
The exhaust will still be wrong and many people have alot of problems with the EFI especially as they get older.

·
Registered
312 Posts
the exhaust on that should work , the only thing you have to look for is back pressure ,, but between the 400 and 500 there isn't enough difference ,,,,,, i had to change mine when i went from a 800 to a 1000,,, they could have worked , but after a couple hours of ridding ,,it's the backpressure i had to watch for ,
If you want to know, check the difference in compression in the 2 and i'm sure there isn't much difference

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know where I can find detailed specs on each engine? I have found bits and pieces here and there. but nothing complete.
Thanks for all the help!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Go to Polaris Man's site. He's got a bunch of general specs for all the sleds.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
your 400 VM34SS Slide Mikuni the 500 VM34SS Slide Mikuni same carbs jetting is #40 pilot jets and and 280 mains hope this helps. got all the info from a polaris dealer.

bobby

·
Registered
312 Posts
there you go , if the specs are just about the same ,, jet sizez and all that are the same ,, chances are your pipes won't cause any back pressure on the engine

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cool I think I will go for it. Anyone have any idea what performance I should get out of this 400 indy with the 500 engine? I am used to riding a 83' Indy Trail 440. I am hoping this new ride will be worth the money and time i am spending!!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Throw it in and jet it. It will work great. As far as power it will be slightly more than the 400 but way more obvious over the Trail.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts