Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an older Polaris Indy 400 2 cyl. liquid. On one of the carbs on the topside near where it enters the airbox there is a small opening that gas is pouring out of while running. If I pull on the choke lever...it will stop....but engine obviously dies. Is something stuck inside...float????that is causing it to overflow out of this top port....or is choke (enrichment) mechanism maybe stuck inside....thanks for any info....Peter

·
Registered
187 Posts
Could be a float stuck, but more than likely it's a leaky needle and seat. go thru and thoroughly clean the carbs. You can test the n/s, but you'll need a mity-vac gage to test it. Order a couple new needles and seats and put them in. More times than not it will cure the problem. There could be a piece of dirt under the needle preventing it from closing, but not usually. If you need more info, just ask. -Polaris Doc

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, i did the old tap the float bowl with the screwdriver handle and it stopped pretty quickly. Might have just been a piece of dirt in there. I know i should really take it off and just clean the needle and seat as they are not old.....except its about 20 below with the wind chill right now....thanks for the help.

·
Registered
102 Posts
A stuck float, stuck needle, or a stuck slide itself (keeping the needle raised) might have caused it. Any of those things might come ustuck with a rap to the carb. At least if it's working now it's a good sign that something isn't worn out. Clean them good. Good luck not getting frost bite.

·
Registered
571 Posts
This helps... http://www.ripperd.com/ftp/admins/carb_rebuild/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts