Snowmobile Fanatics banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new carb looking at holley off road truck avenger. Any sugestions? I tried rebuilding the old rochchester 4b but my truck still dosent idle or run good. I tried buying a used holley double pumper 750cfm jetted it down that didn't work. Put 2 sets of new plugs in it. HEI ingnition but no luck. When hot my truck starts up awsome but still bogs. The passenger side 1357 runs clean. But the passenger side 2468 run really wet and fouled. ???????? I am confused????????? Not really intrested in EFI.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
For a daily driver steet set up I would recommend and Edelbrock carb over a Holley any day.

Holley makes a great carb, don't get me wrong, but for a daily driver I think that the Edelbrock is better. Edelbrock carbs can be pulled out of the box, slapped on and be ready to go. They don't require the tuning and fiddling that Holley's tend to. I run and Edelbrock on my 69 Firebird and when I got it I put it on, adjusted the idle and it was good to go. I haven't had to adjust it since. The performance and consistency is on the mark and I have no complaints what so ever.

If you were gonig to go racing than I would recommend a Holley but for street, get the Edelbrock.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I'm still not set on Holley, no question they blow the Quadrajunk out of the water, but i've had good luck with edelbrocks, and carter's. tried a demon once, spent 65hrs tuning it on a 440 CUDA and still couldn't get it to run right. took it off and switched it with the edelbrock off a 78 camaro with a 436ci small block and got them both to run great in about an hour. sometimes they just don't seem to like the manifold there on.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have seen I think a edelbrock off road carb and I have a stock manifold on it but I have a edelbrock intake that I have not tried.
The current holley has manual choke would electric help?
650 cfm Off-Road AVS Carbs
Manual or Electric Choke

650 cfm Off-Road AVS Carbs
Manual or Electric Choke
Designed and calibrated for optimum off-road performance in small-block and some big-block engines. Match with a variety of manifolds that include Edelbrock Performer, Performer EPS, Performer RPM, RPM Air-Gap and other brands of similar design. Includes spring-loaded needles and seats for superior fuel control in off-road terrain. Includes: Metering Jets – Primary .095, Secondary .098; Metering Rods – .065 x .047; Step-Up Spring – Orange (5" Hg). Use our Carb Stud Kits #8008 or #8024 if needed, see Installation Items. For auto trans throttle lever adapters and more, see Tuning Accessories
[attachment=55521]

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
Get a 600 CFM vacume secondary Holley, perfect for a chevy 350. Not sure what the truck avenger is like, but I know from experience that the 600 holley is great for a near stock 350. Just make sure you dont get the spread bore style that was made in Japan, biggest piece of crap in the holley line up.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Before you shoot your Rodchester, explain your plug fouling a little better. If the manifold is stock, it should be dual plane. So if one of the two primary venturies was slobbering two middle plugs on one bank sould be fouled, and the two outside plugs on the opposite bank. So if the plugs are wet just on one side it could be something else. Rodchesters need at least 15hg merc to work properly. Could your intake gasket be leaking internally? The older small block intakes would crack under the crossover tube heat shield. Have you tried spraying around the intake & carb base with carb cleaner while it's idling looking for leaks?

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
if you're fouling plugs with the Holley ,probably you're power valve is bad ,and i have never seen a so called non rebuild-able, have heard ,cant rebuild some carbs because of b,s even by so called super experts

·
Registered
850 Posts
I would do A vac test that will tell you a lot about whats going on and whats rong.

·
Registered
123 Posts
if its for the truck in your picture tell me how it works becasue i got the same truck in my garage...same stock carb. mine idles fine and runs fine. but tell me what u end up useing and how it works. what ever u pick to use. pm me becasue im not really ever on this part of the site.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Im not much of a holley fan myself,edelbrock is good,but i think the factory quadrajet is the best carb ever made.look at the secondaries,on the rochester quad they are bigger than edelbrock.plus look how many decades they used that carb.you can scan the junk yards and get one for $10-$20,well here anyway.they dont look as pretty on a chromed out motor than a holley or edelbrock.but they have an excellent track record.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
polaris4u

ya its 4 tge truck in the pics. I did a vacum check and it was right on. I might go back to trying the rochester but I rebuilt it still didn't idle. I might give it a second try.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Please define right on, How many inches? Needle rock steady or bouncing around? Remember, like a sled, elevation will affect your mercury readings. Manifold vacuum at sea level would be much different at say, Colorado.

·
Registered
108 Posts
If you are on a manifold source and not ported 14 inches is way too low unless its majorly cammed up. With a stock cam should be at least 19in and properly tuned 20-21in. Power valve in a rodchester needs 15 in vacuum to stay closed at idle. Not much will drop vacuum down that much. Thats too old for an EGR. Did it start running crappy all of a sudden? Was it gradual? Its a long shot, but if a cam jumps a tooth it would still run (barely) and you would only have 13 -15in vac at idle. Have you thrown a timing gun on it. Does it feel like a dog on the road?

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I had a 72 nova with a 350 in it, when I got it it came with a 750 double pumper (ran like crap). I put a 600 holly and couldn't have been happier. the throttle response and accelleration was amazing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
hey i have a 82 chevy pickup with a built 350 i had a holley street avenger on it and it ran horrible fouling plugs left and right i bit the bullet and bought a edelbrock 1405 600cfm carb bolted it on adjusted the idle and my truck has never run better i also use my truck offroad <6 inch lift with 35's> and the carb has performed flawlessly!!

·
Registered
43 Posts
i paid 260 brand new for the carb i have had no problems with any offroad action!! at first i thought it was going to be to small for my motor because i have a lot of work done to it but it is perfect i couldnt be happier!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts