Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and my buddy just got into a pretty heated discussion about what would be a better sled Carburated or EFI. He swears up and down that EFI is the way to go. Now because i own a carb snowmobile i responded with carburetion being better but i also said both have there ups and downs and both run about the same. For instance if you took a ZR 600 carb and a ZR 600 EFI stock they would run the same as goes with other makes and models as well. I will say nothin beats an older running triple! What do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Carbed sleds have less computer things that can fail, which also means easier to fix yourself. But an efi will always have the right fuel delivery.

·
Super Moderator
11,677 Posts
They both have their pros and cons. From what I've seen, there is never a clear cut winner.

Personally, I am an EFI guy. I like the fact that you can pull the rope and go, regardless of temperature and elevation. Another benefit of an EFI system is throttle pull. My EFI has the easiest throttle pull of any sled I've ever ridden, especially over a round-slide carbed triple. At the end of the day, I do not have "throttle thumb," which is nice.

At the same time, you need a $400 fuel control unit if you get into any motor modifications (for the most part). If the ECU goes down, it's going to be another $400 to replace that as well. Electronics are not cheap and can be a pain to diagnose, but at the end of the day, I still love my EFI.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
+1 for EFI.
Way more reliable and better fuel economy.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
I see advantages in both: efi is 99% pull and go, especially with arctic cats batteryless efi. You have no jetting, no tuning to do, pretty reliable. However you need a special chip to add anything but a can. Carb'd: a tuners best friend, add pipes, porting, cans, heads, you set that carb correctly it won't let you down. That's kind of how I think of it. I'd have to add a +1 for efi, carbs still have their moments and do there Job fine.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Well I guess it all depends on the riding situation...
Mountains-EFI all the way-change in elevation all the time
If you just want to jump on the sled all the time and go and the weather can very 10-20 degrees that day well EFI...
But if you want to race well my friend in my opinion carb is the way to go. You can dial those in so fine and right to the edge, right where you know its going to run like a raped ape that day. Just my 2 cents
Both have plus and minus, EFI lot more computer and lot more to go wrong.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Pros of EFI:

-supirior fuel milage
-better altitude and jetting compensation
-eaiser throttle pull(no slides to lift)
-no carburetors to clean

Cons of EFI:

-more electronics
-more clutter under hood
-if sunk sled, it wouldy fry
-more parts to fail, and all of them are very costly
-if something isnt correct with the system, its hard to correct (versus the Carbs easy to isolate the problem).

Pros of Carb:

-you always can adjust the jetting the way you want it
-if you sink sled, doesnt effect carbs, they wont fail if drained
-easy to maintain
-easy to fix
-cheap to replace parts
-alot less clutter
-cleaner look under hood

Cons to carbs:

-jetting for elevation and temperatures does get exhusting and annoying, but systems such as tempa-flow compensate for this well
-stiffer throttle pull
-the carb boots split and crack, can cause a sled to blow due to leaning out
-alot easier to lean the sled out doe to water getting into carbs through airbox.

just what i feel for EFI vs. Carb (IMO)

Personally, i like Carb better, easier to fix, isolate problems, and if sunk(i run alot of water) theyre not effected, and i hate electronics, also easier to fix.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Just my .02 but adding to the cons of a carb:

cost to maintain them. Think of it this way, if you paid yourself (your time IS worth money) or someone to clean and maintain the carbs properly, you could eat up that $400 ECU in no time.

I know some guys just love to tinker and so do I-for now. But as I get older, other factors come into play.

When I need to get a new sled, I'll be going with EFI.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
picman said:
Just my .02 but adding to the cons of a carb:

cost to maintain them. Think of it this way, if you paid yourself (your time IS worth money) or someone to clean and maintain the carbs properly, you could eat up that $400 ECU in no time.

I know some guys just love to tinker and so do I-for now. But as I get older, other factors come into play.

When I need to get a new sled, I'll be going with EFI.
sorry, but i disagree, all i do is take 30 mins in the fall to Clean my carburetors, I only change jets 2 times a seasons (first 2 months of cold, last month of warm (march). I dont think its expensive at all....

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
That is only part of what I meant. You also have the cost of replacing boots, reeds etc-that kind of stuff to consider.

There is a cost component to maintaining carbs. How much an individual wants to assign to that cost varies from person to person.

I am looking at this from a business perspective. Everything I do at work costs money.

If you were unable to clean your own carbs, what would you dealer charge? If your buddy came over and did it for you, he would probably drink your liquor right? Eat your food?

I guess what I really meant to say, Jesse, is that to a young person with no wife and kids, your time is your own. And you probably value it too cheaply. Not trying to flame you cause there are plenty of days I wish I was still 19. And today is one of them.

So after awhile the maybe I'll have to pay 400 clams for an ECU is balanced out by I've spent xx number of hours doing maint. on my carbs over the life of the sled.

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Whether carbs or EFI is better all depends on the person.

EFI generally runs longer between breakdowns, is better on fuel, and offers a few extra HP because of better fuel atomization.

Carbs are easier to work on, for less talented mechanics.

Tinkering with carbs is cheaper. But it requires stopping, shutting down the engine, changing jets, etc, then try it again. And you have to carry parts and tools.

Tinkering with EFI is more expensive, but instantaneous. You can change the EFI tuning while you're riding.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
EFI is the future of sledding but I would prefer carbs for some things because it is easier to work on. EFI is a black box and it is very complex to work on but, I would take EFI for having more power stock, better mileage. and EFI does last longer but u can buy a boondocker EFI controller which does help modify EFI.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I loved how easy my throttle was to pull, as well as the responsiveness given by the EFI. If I could afford to drop one in, I'd have a built SDI motor in my sled. Way more expensive to replace parts, but worth it in the end.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Mad-Boondocker said:
Also EFI starts easier than a carbed sled
Well, not in some cases. My sled starts first pull at half choke, and then right after it fires, you shut the choke off and rev it up for just a second then its started and runs fine. My Fusion took 5 or 6 pulls to start when its cold. If it was really cold it took about 20 pulls. In most cases though, EFI sleds start in 2 pulls ( First pull to energize the injectors, second to fire it )

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
My zl starts 1-2 pull every time, no matter what the conditions. It is possible my sled might just be the exception.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
EFI- Starts 1-2 pulls, precise fuel delivery, does'nt freeze up, better MPG(Very slightly),you have to buy a controller to adjust the fuel delivery.

Carb- You can adjust the fuel delivery easily with jets, no cpu failure(it's all mechanical).

I personally prefer EFI over Carb 2 to 1.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts