Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if a 96 efi indy 500 has more power/faster than a carb model. Are they as reliable? I do realize that a batt. is reqd. to run the efi, and efi is less maintenance, but I have never rode ANY sled w/ efi so I dont know about the power. Any input is appreciated thanks[:)]

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Talk to Poo Kid about this one[thumb]
Can't speak for performance aspect. But with EFI, your "jetting" will be spot-on all the time. doesn't matter the temperature, barometric pressure, or altitude, the motor will run in optimum conditions.
An issue with having the battery as that they will die over summer if left in the sled. The battery needs to be maintained properly and charged throughout the summer. With the extra electrical components, troubleshooting can be more difficult. But the ECU will flash trouble codes. However EFI parts are harder to find and are fairly costly, even used.

The '96 EFI 500 has xtra-12 suspension front and rear, it should ride nice as long as you aren't trying to push the sled to its limits. Don't even bother attempting to do aggressive riding with the xtra-12.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cool, I found 2 matching ones for 600 ea. not far from here, as most of you know Ive been wanting newer/bigger, but work is slow and I havent sold the car yet.....so I guess that dream may be shot. Any other info would be awesome thanks oh btw-better suspension than the trail or my 400?

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
dirtydan said:
better suspension than the trail or my 400?
Yes, much better. The xtra-12 is very cushy, made for the trail cruiser. But it simply can't handle bumps at high speeds like the xtra-10 does. Can't get the best of everything all in one suspension, so Polaris made two extremes for very opposite riding styles.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
cool thanks, hey I put a pic of them up

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
The only problem with those older Polaris EFI sleds are that when the EFI system has a problem or something goes bad on them parts are hard to find as Polaris does not make or sell them anymore,and there are no after market parts for them, so then you have to find used parts, I myself personally have steered clear of all of the early to mid 90's EFI sleds, I'm not bashing them as they were good running sleds back in the day, the last old school EFI sleds were made in 96 and the 650 RXL was a screamer of a sled for its day, so again I am not trying to give the old Polaris EFI sleds a bad rap, I'm just trying to give you a heads up on what you could be getting into.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate it, maybe I will x them off the list. I hate getting something that is hard to get parts for, like my last boat

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
dirtydan said:
I appreciate it, maybe I will x them off the list. I hate getting something that is hard to get parts for, like my last boat
Dan, I know your in Washington but here is a site that is sort of like craigs list, they have classifieds for Utah,Idaho and Wyoming, I don't know how far you can travel to get a sled but I have seen some pretty good deals on there, lost of older RMK's and other sleds, and if I were able to get out that way I would for sure be trying get in on some of the deals I have seen, here is a link to the site, just find the snowmobiles for sale column and have a look.....

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=13

Here is a deal I just found on there, $1000 bucks for a 2000 RMK:

http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=11766439&cat=146&lpid=4&search=polaris

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks 98700 xc!!! I can travel a little, im gonna check er out

·
Registered
9,987 Posts
Don't worry about finding replacement EFI parts... Parts are still available new and/or used at dealers, on ebay, or craigslist. (and you hardly EVER need parts..)

I'm not the real EFI master around here Mr Holmquist is, I'm just the guy that made the EFI his bitch.

I'm dissecting the batteryless CAT EFI in my spare time right now, so anyone interested in dropping EFI on any manufacturer twin, should be able to do it without much effort. And no need for the extra weight of a battery for drag racers. Big bore twins are also a possibility with this EFI setup.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hmmm... maybe elemination isnt in the works after all. Im going to call the guy and ask about milage and so on. Will get back to you guys, thank you all. Oh yeah 98700xc that is a great site!! I want that rmk, just have to see how everything plays out, heeluva deal

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Dan, I just saw the pictures of the EFI's in your gallery, those are 1994 EFI 500's. That means they are the 8-inch suspension- which is the same as what your '94 trail and '90 400 have. The EFI's will ride just as bad as your current sleds. I do notice the sleds both have plastic skis, which is always nice. But I agree with you about the RMK, That's a great deal.

The '96 EFI with x-12 have red hoods, both of the ones in the photos are black with pink/teal stripes, which were the colors for 1994 EFI.
'94: http://polarisman.com/site/DisplayModel.cfm?ModelID=94SNOINDY500EFI&Year=1994
'96: http://polarisman.com/site/DisplayModel.cfm?ModelID=96SNOINDY500EFI&Year=1996

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
aww weak. The ad says theyre 96's. Kinda sad he doesnt even know what they are, probably something to avoid huh? But one question, why do they have the different headlights? My trail is a 94 and it has the old headlight like my 400, did they keep the trail the same? thanks dude

·
Registered
443 Posts
Look at my trail it's a year newer then yours and it has the curved headlight.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thats my question, mines a 94, and those efi's are 94's so why did they get a different headlight than the trail? I thought they would be the same since theyre the same year

·
Registered
1,958 Posts
94 Trail was a wedge chassis sled, in 95 they put it on the evolved chassis.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
EDIT: 98xc700 beat me to it

1994 Trail was in the wedge chassis.
1994 EFI 500 was in the evolved chassis. (just like indyrider's 1995 trail).

Polaris never really switched the WHOLE lineup from one chassis to the other, they always overlapped.
Original Indy 1980-1989
Wedge 1988-1998
Evolved 1994-1999
Aggressive 1996-1999
Gen II 1999-2003 (Widetrak utility sleds are still made in this chassis tho)
Edge 1999-2007

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
OK, now I get it! Thanks guys--I tell ya Ive learned more about sleds due to this site than I can shake a stick at! And you oughtta see me shake a stick!!! lol, so thank you so much, you guys are gentelman and scholars!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts