Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sitting with gas in slead for summer,having problems this year. Found one cylinder not fireing and plug dry. Removed both carburators and cleaned all jetts and parts as best as I could. Now find both cylinders fireing but the one that worked before is runnig very hot,and engine will rev ok on the stand but not on ground. Have never played with carb adjustments so should be ok. Sled is a 1979 Eltre 5000 free air. Please help with any ideas.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Clean the carb again. Pay close attention to every orfice. Use carb cleaner compressed air and guitar strings (or a suitable alternative). Don't try to adjust untill you are sure the carb is working properly.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
When you say the one that worked before is very hot.....do you meant the plug color is white? If so you have a lean condition. Either from an air leak some where, or one of the jets in that carb may still have some debris in it. I'd definately clean those carbs again. Take ALL the jets out and clean them well. Let us know what happens.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well I re-cleaned the carb again and used cleaner and air again and have same results. Swithched carbs and found other cylinder to run hot. Plug was white tiped before, more blackish now. Must be problem with carb. Any tips on how to adjust Mikuni carbs or will rebiuld kit solve problem? Still have lose of power while under load.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Did you take out the welch plugs ,those flat aluminum plugs .They have passages under them that get pluged some even have a screen . Your carb kit should have new plugs . If you do find a screen in
there it will work fine with out it .You have got something plugged you either find it ,or find another carb .

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Make sure your air screw is adjusted to spec as well. Its usually one to one and a half turns out from lightly seated for most sleds. But you need to know exactly what it is for yours.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thancks to "Zackattack"s link on page 11 for a Mikuni carb diagram, http://www.brownsleisureworld.com/. Was able to get diagram of carb for my 79 eltire 5000 free air. Do not know what a welch plug is as described by "Wilson". perhaps someone could look at the diagram of my VM32-119 Mikuni carb and describe wear they are.Also checked my air screw adjustment as suggested and both are exactly 1 1/4 turns out and since the other carb is working probibly not the problem.Please keep the sugestions comeing, it has been a great help.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I just looked at a pic of your carb ,It is different than what I thought .Sorry to confuse you .Your carb doesn't have the plugs .

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Took apart the fuel pump and found ripped diaphram. Picked up rebuild kit and reinstalled. Problem solved right? Wrong, started sled and after short time running started to spit fuel out the vent hole on carb. Leaked less at higher rev than idel. Any ideas?? Gone this far,would like to solve.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Take your carb apart maybe float level to high ,needleseat may be loose ,float could be stuck .Something like that ,maybe float to high .

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yeah, what wilson said, or you may have not gotten the pump back together correctly, that will cause it to squirt as well. On the side thats not firing, what is the condition of the plug, as in how wet is it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Found the entire engine flooded with gas. Removed plugs and gas supply and pulled untill dry. Fuel pump kit was wrong one and had extra packing gasket. My mistake to install them. removed and rebuilt the pump.Have both cylinders fireing and running ok on the stand but boging when drive. Tried playing with air adjustment but didn't help. any other suggestions? Ordered carb rebuild kits but not in till thursday. Like to get going, since we just got 2 feet of snow!

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
The only thing I can say is my manual says for my Mach 1 2.5 turns out. It only runs well at .5 to 1.0 turns. I love Rotax's, but Bombardier's manuals blows. Did this help??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
SLED FIXED!!! The problem ended up to be the carbs had a film of varnish inside that I didn't get rid of just by spraying cleaner and blowing out. Ended up haveing my 16 year old son(doing a co-op at Quines Marime)take the sled their to work on. He took apart the carbs and let sook in cleaner for a couple of hours. Then blew out and reassembled.Problem solved! Never leave gas in a sled ever again. Thanks for all your help.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Frenchy I have noticed that once a carb gets varnished unless you can bead blast it it has a tendancy to varnish much easier. My recommendation is that as soon as the snow melts, shut the fuel off, run the sled untill it dies, then take the plug out of the bottom of carb.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts