Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have some sort of problem with my 90 prowler. I ran it two days ago and got the track running true(new track) and it ran fine, ran it up to 6500 or so a couple of times. I ran it one more time today and it won't run past 5000, will rev fine at lower rpms if you open the throttle slow. it is as if thee is a certain throttle position that the fuel is cut off from that point on.
All running was done in the shop with the track off the ground. the shop is the same temp, the only thing that has changed it I disconnected the throttle cable from tha handlebar to get a better look (frayed bad at the end). I put in new plugs with no change.which one of us needs put out of there missery, me or the prowler????

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm don't think it is going to fall on it's face and die just because the carbs aren't opening all the way.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Was 6500 RPM wide open.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Do like Willson said, and check if they open evenly, not at faster at some spots, and slower at others.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
they open together. as I said it is as if there is a certain throttle position that there is no more fuel, if you go to that position at idle it will die, if you slowly advance the throttle up to 4000-4500, the clutch will engage,track will spin up and then when you get tojust about 5000 you hit that magic spot again when it falls on its face and will die if you do not let off. I went through both carbs last night with no change. It will start with about 6 inches of rope and idle fine. the trottle cables did not change adjustment, the carbs do open all the way. something has clogged or broke.

·
Registered
3,040 Posts
Check the plug gaps, and how they are firing. (the block test, remember to remove both plugs or it might start, you need to have the key, and the kill switch on when you do this. Anybody think it could be a misfiring coil.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, mistery solved, for some reason I put the throttle lever back on and the problem suddenly went away. Fouind that there is a switch that the throttle lever pin pushes when the throttle is advanced, I guess this is the switch that the manual tells you how to ohm it out but never says what it is for.
Is this connected to the magnetic switches on the carbs?? It is great how much more responsive the engine is since I went through the carbs and richened it back up to where it should be!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts