Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
man.. I've been searching for this info for an hour.

Can anyone tell me what size drill bitts are used to set the slides on my 89 indy 500?

I've seen and read numerous posts. I know what needs to be done..

No one ever states what size drill bit to use.

[36pt]HELP[/36pt]

(I'ld pull my hair out.. if I had some.)

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I use a Uni-Sync and set it at approximately 2000 rpm.

·
Registered
353 Posts
For low tech synching of 38mm roundslide Mikunis on the the 488 Liquid Fuji, I came up with:

.210" drill bit, air screww 1 turn out from seated, and 1,600 RPM at idle

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I don't this there is a 100% accurate size to use. It's not like use a 1/4" for every Indy 500 and the idle is set. You could use a pencil, bit, dowel, pen, etc. They are all going have a little different in diameter. Each sled may run a little different depending on many variables.

Just use ABOUT 1/4" for starters. Adjust idle from there.
D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dman said:
I don't this there is a 100% accurate size to use. It's not like use a 1/4" for every Indy 500 and the idle is set. You could use a pencil, bit, dowel, pen, etc. They are all going have a little different in diameter. Each sled may run a little different depending on many variables.

Just use ABOUT 1/4" for starters. Adjust idle from there.
D
understandably true..

there are many different variables.. new motor, old stock motor, rebuilt motor, oversize.. etc..

you get mey point.

i would just think that there would be a standard where most back of the barn mechanics would start from. Not everyone has access to a shop, or a full tool box.

I would very much like to see a sticky for those that need the basics.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Like Dman says, there is no std size.
Set the idle with the screws to your desired rpm. Turn engine off..Then use the drill bit (or what ever happens to fit) to set both slides at the same opening. It's all feel. Start engine to confirm rpm. Once you're happy, shut engine off.
Then you need to adjust the cables so they lift exactly at the same time. Stick a finger in each carb contacting the slide. Now touch the throttle. If you have "the touch", you will know which one to adjust to make them the same.
Make sure the slide goes up all the way so the bore is fully open.
Also check free play so the throttle safety switch works properly.
And lastly, it's a good practice to check the oil pump setting anytime you fool around with the throttle.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
tnmemr said:
I use a Uni-Sync and set it at approximately 2000 rpm.
x2

you don't have a sled garage without one

1 - 7 of 7 Posts