Snowmobile Fanatics banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 95 Ski-Doo Formula Z 583. I am having troubles keeping it running. I bought it last spring and the guy I bought it from said he hadn't used it in a few years. When I prime it it starts right up will run for a bit and then dies. By pumping the primer every few seconds I can get it to idle but if I stop it just dies. It seems as though it is not getting any gas to the carbs. Has anyone experienced something similar or have any suggestions?

·
Registered
8,842 Posts
drain the gas out of the tank. take the carbs off and clean them. then with new gas in the tank and carbs, with a touch of seafoam, get it running agian.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
What Madcow said. Pay attention to the pilot jets and the pilot jet passages. Idle is fueled by the pilot jets, if it won't idle, then look there first. You may need to go as far as pushing some monofilament line or a strand of copper wire through the jet to unplug it.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
if you have to keep pumping the primer to keep it running i'd also suspect a fuel pump or plugged fuel filter. Just something else to think about

·
Registered
685 Posts
Originally posted by TriumphoverU
[br]if you have to keep pumping the primer to keep it running i'd also suspect a fuel pump or plugged fuel filter. Just something else to think about
All good places to start, agreed!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would have to say that it sounds like a fuel pump or pulse line problem to me. Or at least that is where I would look first. If you have to prime to keep it running, then you may assume that it is not getting fuel.[/font=Comic Sans MS]

·
Registered
195 Posts
"I bought it last spring and the guy I bought it from said he hadn't used it in a few years."

Plugged jets/dirty carbs can cause bigger problems that not idling. That statement should have led to the sled getting all new gas line, filter, fuel pump kit, gas tank cleaned out, carbs thoroughly gone through, oil system drained and refilled, some oil down the cylinders and turned over quite a few times to get things lubed up, new plugs and then maybe think about turning the key to "start".

Preventive maintenence goes A LONG way on these things.

·
Registered
4,755 Posts
also sounds like stuck needle and seats and like the rest of the members say

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone for the help!

I removed and cleaned the carbs and of course, they were pretty gummed up. Reinstalled them and now it runs like a champ!

Thanks again

1 - 11 of 11 Posts